Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 not a geek

not a geek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with AMD Turion 64X2 Dual Core, 1024 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 200GB HDD. Running Windows Vist Home Premium.

I've loaded firefox and IE as browsers, Security Shield security program (I know that slows it down) I have Office 2007, Itunes, Adobe acrobat +flash+windows media +picasa+a bunch of programs specific to my business. It takes 15-20 minutes to boot from a cold start, 4-8 min to load any program, 3 min or more average to get it to respond to commands. I had a tech come over and it took over 1 hr to upgrade to Office 2007. He said I might have a bad sector on my harddrive. Then he said I shoul try uninstalling and reinstalling vista first. They did not suppluy a disk though when I purchsed this computer 2 1/2 years ago brand new in the box. cryptodan says I need more than 1GB ram to run vista. Why did toshiba package it configured like this if that is true?

Seems like a lot of conflicting suggestions. But what do I know? Can someone please offer me some reasonable guidance on wher to go from here? I cannot afford a new computer right now, but if I knew the right tact...perhaps I could afford to fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

hello

cryptodan is right, alot of machines come with 1gb, don't make it right! plus you have added alot of "sfuff" the easiest and cheapest thing to do is add ram....good luck :huh:
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

RAM is cheap go and get 4Gigs to fully utilize your 64bit processor, and is your Windows OS 64bit?

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

Windows Vista is and always has been a "memory hog". Meaning, it uses "ALOT" of memory just to run.

When Vista was new, alot of manufacturers put the "Recommended System Requirements", as listed by Microsoft, in machines. These machines ran decent in their native form. That was without all of the extra programs that you as the user installed after purchasing the machine. The best thing you can do to help your computer is install more memory in your computer as cryptodan and keny111111 have both suggested.

I would also recommend a Defrag and Temp file cleaning as you have probably accumulated some extra unneeded "stuff" over the years.

I myself have used MyDefrag and have had very good success with it on my Vista machine and also run TFC about once a month to keep the cobwebs cleaned out.

Directions for TFC are as follows:

Please download TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link

* Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
* Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
* TFC will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, Java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder.
* Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Note: It is normal for the computer to be slow to boot after running TFC cleaner the first time.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

Windows Vista is and always has been a "memory hog". Meaning, it uses "ALOT" of memory just to run.

Its not a memory hog it uses RAM actually like it should. The more you have the better off your computing experience will be. With 4gigs of RAM I barely have any system stability or performance issues.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

I too run 4 gigs of ram and do not have any stability issues. Just stating Vista needs alot of ram to run.

Unlike Windows XP which did not require that much ram to run well.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#7 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

run pc decrapifier/ to get rid of unneeded programs
http://majorgeeks.com/PC_De-Crapifier_d5223.html

the only programs required at startup are antivirus and firewall.
I use ccleaner/tools/startup/delete all except firewall & anti virus

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users