Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira AntiVir Guard Stopped

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

Installation appeared to go smoothly. Registered. Ran full scan. (It found 20 warnings and quarantined one bug.) Windows security alert tells me I have no antispyware running. Avira AV Guard says service stopped. When I hit "start" it shows a help link. I've not been able to find anything about this on Avira's site. If I try to start their Update, I get the following error message: Scheduler has not been started. I have gone into scheduler and hit start for the daily update.
ANY ANY ANY suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hi, I used Avira for a few years and just recently switched over to avast!, so my file names may not be exact. But I believe there is a file somewhere in your C:\Program Files\Avira named avgnt.exe. Double click that file. If that doesn't work, there may be another file in the same location named something such as scheduler.exe. Double click that

Good luck :thumbsup:

#3 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

thx, xblindx, nothing
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched brings up a black screen with blinking cursor. (Like a DOS) Should I give it instructions?

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:44 AM

I think your Avira Installation has been corrupted. I would suggest you download a new copy of Avira from their home site then use Revo Uninstaller tp uninstall completely, reboot and reinstall the new copy of Avira.

Edited by bluesjunior, 23 February 2010 - 07:45 AM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:01 PM

I would also just try a reinstall. Be sure that you download a fresh copy of Avira before uninstalling. Then, before you uninstall, disconnect from the internet, uninstall Avira, reboot your computer, install Avira, and reconnect to the internet and update the definitions.

#6 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

This makes good sense to me. I'll try it when I get back to my computer. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users