Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2000 Missing System32 files

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Steve1254

Steve1254

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Last week I found a virus on this old windows 2000 laptop when caused a login loop after cleaning parts of the virus. I was able to resolve the login loop by using "ultimate boot CD" to make a registry change. Once that was resolved I cleaned the virus and all as good until the first reboot. On reboot Windows ran chkdsk (didn't have an option to stop it) and when complete Windows wouldn't load since it said PCI.sys was missing or corrupt. I used "ultimate boot CD" again to get to a DOS prompt and saw that the c:\winnt\system32\drivers directory was empty. I was able to copy the files from the dllcache and other directories and Windows loaded. The only issue is that when Windows loads I have no Keyboard, Mouse, USB, NIC, PCMCIA etc....

I have access to the keyboard before windows loads and I'm able to boot to the USB CD Rom but I can't load windows to do a reinstall or repair because of a 0x7B (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) BSOD. I'm able to boot into "ultimate boot CD" but not all of the utilities work when they start to load the CD ROM. Some of the DOS tools do work though.

Any ideas how I can get full access to the keyboard,mouse, USB, NIC and PCMCIA when windows loads without doing a reinstall? If I can get at the HD from another PC can I copy the Windows install CD to a directory or partition and install from that partition?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

What is the model and manufacturer of your computer?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Steve1254

Steve1254
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

The manufacturer no longer makes PCs

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

That's ok. We still need to know what motherboard and other hardware you have to be able to point you in the proper direction.

Your 0X7B is most likely caused by a missing IDE/SATA controller driver that your Windows 2000 disk does not understand.

It will have to be loaded via the F6 prompt during bootup from CD.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 Steve1254

Steve1254
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

The problem with that is that I don't have a floppy to load it from using F6. It's a very old laptop from a company who doesn't make PCs anymore. It's a thin laptop with no internal drives, only an external USB CD ROM.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

What was the manufacturer's name?
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 Steve1254

Steve1254
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

Looking online it looks like SHARP PC-UM10

#8 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Ok. Will your laptop boot from your USB Cd-Rom drive?

If so, the machine is old enough that most windows 2000 pro disks should be able to recognize your hardware and be able to "see" your hard drive.

What software did you use to remove your virus and do you have any applicable logs?
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#9 Steve1254

Steve1254
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

It will boot from the USB CD and the Window 2000 CD will start and load the drivers but the BSOD happens as soon as it starts to load windows. I used a mix of malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware to remove the virus. Don't have any logs since I can't log into windows since I don't have a keyboard or mouse.

#10 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:40 AM

Before we go too much further and cause any more damage to what already sounds like a hard drive that is going bad, we need to find out what hard drive is in the laptop, and get it tested.

Once you know the manufacturer of the hard drive, you can go here and find the manufacturers testing utility. Burn the utility to CD and once again boot the computer from this CD.

Run the tests and make sure the drive has not started to fail.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#11 Steve1254

Steve1254
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:29 PM

I ran some diagnostics located on the Ultimate Boot CD and didn't find any issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users