Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues reformatting XP from a CD

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 werdsmada

werdsmada

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to wipe out and reformat my laptop. I have windows XP Professional SP2 on a dvd. Basically, I went into the BIOS and set it to boot from CD first. I followed the wizard and got to the point where it began to install windows, but each time now I get an error telling me that it cannot find the file, "asms.exe" and a dialog box asking me to point to the direction of the file. I enter the path of the cd/dvd drive (D:\), but it still cannot find it. If i hit cancel, it tell me that setup is restarting, and i get back to the same screen.

It seems to be stuck in this endless cycle.

All I would like is to reformat my hard drive and get my computer up and running again.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance,

Drew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:31 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311755

Louis

#3 werdsmada

werdsmada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

Thank you so much! I'll give this a shot as soon as I get home from the office. I'll let you know if this resolves the problem.

Thanks again,

Drew

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum...-i386-asms.html

might be some clues here too.

The only time I had this problem I cleaned jelly off the clients cd disk and it went through the next time.

Might be a coincidence...

#5 werdsmada

werdsmada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Is there a way to restart the whole installation process, so that I can wipe and re-create the partitions again?

I'm worried something might have failed during the partitioning that might be causing this error. When i booted from disk, I chose the NFTS file system for the partition, but I chose the (quick) option, which in retrospect was probably a mistake.

I'll try the regedit solution suggested by hamluis first, but if you know of any way I can start the whole process over, delete the existing partitions, and try again from scratch, that would be helpful, as well.

Right now, i seem to be stuck in this cycle of startup-try to install-fail-restart-try to install-fail-restart.....

Thanks!

-Drew

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:42 PM

The Quick option is perfectly find as that doesn't check for bad blocks. The slow format checks for bad blocks, and I Only recommend using that one on new hard drives not previously formatted ones.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:16 PM

If you just want to wipe it and start over...just attach that drive as a secondary to another system...and delete the existing partition.

Remove the drive, place it in the system you want it it..and begin anew.

You have already deleted any previous partitions, havene't you? I mean...the hard drive should be blank?

Louis

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

A laptop often has special partitions that you might miss if you start from a bare drive.

Give us the details and service tag and we will probably have more detailed info.

#9 werdsmada

werdsmada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the help so far.

Basically, I have a Toshiba laptop. My girlfriend downloaded some uTorrent stuff on it, and it got a bunch of viruses. I wiped the viruses pretty much entirely off using stuff from the hijack this forums (Ran malware bytes, etc....) Anyways, just to be safe, I backed up my photos and everything onto an external hard drive and was going to reformat. It was formerly a vista machine, but it ran slow as hell (probably due to the viruses) and i went to reformat with an XP profession SP 2 cd I have. It's a hologram, genuine copy.

Anyways, I went to the BIOS, moved the CD-ROM drive ahead of the C:/, and set to boot to disk.

I booted from disk and was prompted to re-partition the hard drive. 2 partitions existed, a Toshiba partition, 1500MB, and a General Partition, named with a string of characters, (C2910hg...... or something). Here's where i think i went wrong. I didn't delete the toshiba partition, and simply reformatted the other existing partition using NFTS (quick).

Everything was looking peachy until I got to the Installing Windows (39 Minutes remaining!!!!) and I receive an error saying "Cannot find asms.exe." Which leaves me stuck in the loop as I'd described earlier.

Now, I shift+F10, and get a command prompt, but if i type regedit.exe, it says the system cannot execute the specified program.

I can F2 for setup, or F12 for boot device selection manager if i power off and reboot the machine, but once it gets past the Toshiba startup screen, I get stuck in this windows loop.

Hope this helps solve the problem, and thanks for all your replies!!!

-Drew

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

which toshiba laptop?

Some have a system restore in the toshiba partition and some have the files you can make a system restore cd/dvd set from. Some have neither... some have the system restore partition but have damaged it cleaning rootkits :thumbsup:

The error is still associated with inability to read the cd or dvd in most cases, so try the restore from toshiba partition if it is available. post the model n serial here or go to the toshiba support site and poke around. (Toshiba support site is pretty convoluted and marketing driven ) I have several toshiba laptops so I can usually find what I need.

#11 werdsmada

werdsmada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

It's a Toshiba Satellite A135-S2356

Serial 37232197K

Hope that helps. Still can't get this to find the disk drive. I have my laptop here, and some thumb drives. Would i be able to load the driver for the disk drive onto a USB and install that manually first somehow? I'm worried it won't be able to find the thumb drive either.

Any ideas?

Thanks again everybody,

Drew

#12 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

well...

This unit shipped with vista home basic. Toshiba site does not point to any xp sata drivers since they are not needed for vista or win7.

This unit is capable of upgrade to win7 and toshiba has drivers and utilities to help in that process. Toshiba has damn little else concerning xp for this model. Does your tag on the back give you a vista COA key? or something else.

It is a fairly new laptop. Do you have the recovery disk set created when it was new? That would put vista back on it...

A usb key usually works for the f6 driver if you find one. Some models do some don't. The age of the model seems to have little to do with it. As long as you have a usb key or a cd with the drivers in the root directory, and can guess the drive letter, it should read it from there.

You may be able to search for part numbers of the replacement mainboard and find out which chipset runs the sata controller and match it so a slightly older model which has a ata driver for xp.

good luck.

#13 werdsmada

werdsmada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:51 AM

Hey Ken,

Thanks for your reply. I've taken a little time off, but am thinking about formatting a usb thumb drive to run the install as a first pass. Lost the install disks for the toshiba in the move, and if the thumb drive doesn't work, I think that upgrading to 7 will be the required fix. I'll post back and let you know how I ended up fixing it.

Thank again for your help!

#14 werdsmada

werdsmada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

In case anyone cares, I was able to solve this problem simply by installing Vista. Everything went perfectly smooth using a standard Vista installation disc. Toshiba just apparently makes it damn near impossible to "downgrade" to XP on a factory equipped Vista machine....

Thanks for all your help!

-Drew

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

I didn't help you at all but do want to say that I am glad that you got it fixed. I have heard that a lot of computers are pretty hard to downgrade from Vista.

Thank you very much for letting everyone know how you resolved the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users