Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow file downloads with dialup

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 awg1011

awg1011

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:51 AM

I use 56k dialup and I was wondering if it's normal for files to download at only 1-3kbps?

It doesn't matter weather I use IE, FireFox, or DAP (download accelerator pluss), I rarely see over 3kbps, know matter what it says my connection speed is. I tried bit torrent once, but it was .1-.5kbps.

With a 54.6kbps connection, what is considered a normal, or average, download speed. Recently my isp went accelerated, propel, for all customers, that also has no effect on download speed.

Would this have anything to do with my ISP, or my pc (2.5ghz p4, XPsp2, 512mb RAM) or modem (intel pci winmodem)? I am getting a serial hard modem for my Linux box, would this speed up downloads on my XP box?

It's very frustrating at times when I want to download large files, I hesitate to download anything over 5MB. I have been looking in to high speed, but I live in a rural area and am very limited, I can get wireless 700 mbps for $99/mo + $99 set up and SBC does have DSL in my area, but can't get it because it's only for business at this time.

Is there any hope? :thumbsup:

Thanks,
awg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

Have you tried a different access number? Usually the ISP offers several. Also try running a telephone wire straight from the service box. This will eliminate a wiring problem. If you have an inside wiring plan have the teleco come out and check your wiring.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:03 PM

I have tried diffrent ISP numbers, most of the local ones, and it makes no diffrence. The wires to the phone jack for the modem are fairley new and a straight, short, shot to the service. We also have 2 lines and the modem is on an A/B switch so we can select which line we want to go online with... I should try bypassing the A/B switch, never thought that might be a problem, next time I go offline, I'll try that. It also doesn't matter which line we use, it's still slow.

I'll also try running a line out the window to the service box and plug it in in the box, it's only about 10', and I'll use a single wire with no connectors in it.

If none of that works, maybe I'll find another ISP, that has a "try us free for 30 day" offer, and see if that helps.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted
awg

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:13 PM

If you double click the connection icon near the clock what does it say your connection speed is?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:23 PM

It really varies alot, right now it says 28.8, but I've seen it anywhere from 19kbps to 54.6, it's usually over 48kbps. I've found that it doesn't matter for file download speed, just for web page loading.

Thanks,
awg

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:29 PM

I would suspect a bad phone line either from your house to the pole or beyond. I know that around here they will check it if you complain enough.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:52 PM

Thanks, Leurgy, Tommarow when it's daylight, I will plug the modem directly in to the test jack (on both lines) in the service box, if it doesn't improve I'll contact the phone co. Around here it's not very easy to get them out to test things, and if they do anything in the customer side of the service box (the unlocked side with the test jacks and line hookups) they charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks again,
awg

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:16 AM

I would suspect a bad phone line either from your house to the pole or beyond. I know that around here they will check it if you complain enough.

My father in law had a similar problem. He has DSL lite (128kbs/256kbs) and he was only getting 15 to 20 kbs. I ran a fresh wire from the service direct to his modem and end of problem. But leurgy is right it could be from the service to the tap on the pole. Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:16 PM

I connected the modem directly in the test jack in the service box and no diffrence. I guess the next step is to contact the phone copany and have them test to the tap. I'm also emailing my isp to see what they have to say.

Just wondering what other 56k dialup users have for download speeds?

Thanks,
awg

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:31 PM

Well I connect at 49.2kbps and my speed(actual bandwidth speed) is around 40kbps. I can download at that rate 1mb every 3.5 mins I think according to a bandwidth test.

Infact test your computer. Here is the link:
http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Tell us how fast your speed is vs what your pc says when it connects and how fast you can download a 1mb file. My other computer is having similar problems as yours. I also have to contact my ISP. It says its connected at 49.2 like this laptop but its super slow.

The bandwidth test says its actual bandwidth is only 23kbps or so!

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 08 September 2005 - 08:31 PM.

#11 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:55 PM

Communications 28.2 kilobits per second
Storage 3.4 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 5 minutes
Subjective rating Very slow

In my systray, it says 54.6kbps

When I say 1-3kbps, that's what a download manager says while downloading a file such as a video or program.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:26 AM

You may find MODEMSITE helpful. It includes tweaks and troubleshooting tips.

#13 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 06:33 AM

I'l check it out this weekend, thanks.

awg

#14 acklan

acklan