Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home PC freezes

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Dave2y2k2

Dave2y2k2

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:12 AM

Hi,

Last week my PC froze, with 1 long beep and only way to stop it was to reboot. Upon rebooting Windows starts normally but after a short time it will slow down rapidly until the only thing left working is the mouse, and then after a few clicks that will lock up and long beep again - only way to stop it is to push the reset button.

I have tried many things but it is still doing the same thing. If I turn it on and leave it at login, or even logged on without touching anything then it seems stay on - left it overnight and still worked in the morning, if I try to load the internet or msn, or run a scan etc. then it will crash. I've checked the BIOS which all looks ok, cleaned the registry, taken unneeded programs out of startup, removed programs - but no change. Before all that I tried a Windows restore to when it was working, but no better.

After a lot of reading online, suggestions were that it is a rootkit virus - I cannot get rootrepel to run on the booted hard drive, it will crash as soon as it tries to scan the files, however if I scan secondary hard drives it will scan ok. I've managed to run a prevex scan - but that didn't seems to find/fix anything. In safe mode & in debugging mode it might last a bit longer but will still crash - especially if I try and run rootrepel that will do it every time.

I have also tried fixing the MBR, which didnt make any difference, as well as installing XP over the top to try and fix any errors in case it was that - but still got the same problem.

I noticed watching task manager that the CPU usage seems higher than it should, 99-100% a lot of the time when its running really slow, but because I can only get it to run for a couple of minutes at max without it crashing I can't monitor it for very long. Other things that I have tried are running memtest which passes (i've also tried taking RAM out and running it), and i've put in a brand new (different) graphics card.

My latest effort was installing XP Pro on another hard drive - which seems to work fine, although its not been setup to do anything or got anything installed, it does boot and never crashes.

I know there is a lot there to process but does anyone have any idea what is wrong please?

Thanks,

Dave.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:35 AM

System manufacturer and model?

If self/custom-built...motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2010 - 08:36 AM.

#3 Dave2y2k2

Dave2y2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:50 AM

PC is custom built - motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Royal.

Thanks,

Dave.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:55 AM

Have you tried to start in safe mode? If possible run rootrepeal, malwarebytes and an antivirus to potentially rule out those as causing your woes while in safe mode. I had a similar problem once and it ended up being attributed to a dying power supply. Try running a burn in program on your stable new installation and see what happens if it fails then it is most likely a hardware issue if not then Windows it is.

Edited by Baltboy, 22 February 2010 - 09:55 AM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

Gigabyte BIOS Beep Codes

Louis

#6 Dave2y2k2

Dave2y2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the codes hamluis - do you know how to tell between a continuious long beep & a continuios short beep? It never stops so it seems long to me.

Baltboy - I have started in safe mode and it still won't let me run rootrepel (will crash as soon as I try to scan the local drive), i've run an updated windows security essentials virus scan and that is clean. Do you mean a burn program as in nero? I've not tried a new power supply just because i've not got one, its quite a heavy duty thing from memory though not a standard OEM one which I would expect to cause issues - i'll see if I can get another one to test though, and malwarebytes.

Thanks,

Dave.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

Continuous long is a monotone, no break.

Short beeps will evidence breaks in the tone.

Louis

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

Sounds to me like another case of over heating due to improper air flow.

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:56 PM

What I am refering to is a "burn in" program like the kind included in sisoft sandra. It stresses the computer running every component at full blast. This will show up any overheating issues as well as hardware faults. If it can complete the burn in process then you know the hardware is solid and windows is to blame.
Mark Twain

#10 Dave2y2k2

Dave2y2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:09 AM

Morning,

I've ran malwarebytes which found 4 problems - after removing these I tested windows again, but this time it only made it as far as the black screen before you get to the log in screen, with white mouse on it, and then it froze. I then updated my test windows so that I could install the latest sisoft sandra and run a "burn in" test last night - this morning it says it completed ok and is still on, didn't crash. I've put the report below:

***** Start of Report *****
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< >>>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU 2/Aux Temperature: 19.0C (Min 19.0C; Avg 19.0C; Max 19.0C)
System Fan 1: 819rpm (Min 819rpm; Avg 819rpm; Max 819rpm)
CPU 1 DC Line: 1.25V (Min 1.25V; Avg 1.25V; Max 1.25V)
CPU 2/Aux DC Line: 1.76V (Min 1.76V; Avg 1.76V; Max 1.76V)
+3.3V DC Line: 3.33V (Min 3.33V; Avg 3.33V; Max 3.33V)
+5V DC Line: 4.87V (Min 4.87V; Avg 4.87V; Max 4.87V)
+12V DC Line: 12.04V (Min 12.04V; Avg 12.04V; Max 12.04V)
Standby DC Line: 2.77V (Min 2.77V; Avg 2.77V; Max 2.77V)
Battery DC Line: 2.99V (Min 2.99V; Avg 2.99V; Max 2.99V)
CPU 1 Core Power: 78W (Min 78W; Avg 78W; Max 78W)

<<< Processor Arithmetic >>>

<<< Processor Multi-Media >>>

<<< Multi-Core Efficiency >>>

<<< Power Management Efficiency >>>

<<< Cryptography >>>

<<< File Systems >>>

Error: 3.5" 1.44MB (A:) : Cannot obtain drive
information; check that a disk is in the
drive and it is correctly formatted.

<<< Physical Disks >>>

Error: ST3802110A (80GB, ATA100, 3.5", 2MB Cache) (C:
) : Write Performance : Disk is not empty:
Remove all its partitions and try again.
Error: WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 (500.1GB, SATA300, 3.5",
7200rpm, NCQ, 16MB Cache) (D:) : Write
Performance : Disk is not empty: Remove all
its partitions and try again.
Error: Maxtor 6L300S0 (300GB, SATA150, 3.5", 7200rpm,
NCQ, 16MB Cache) (E:) : Write Performance :
Disk is not empty: Remove all its partitions
and try again.

<<< Removable Storage >>>

Error: Hard Disk (D:) @ WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0
(500.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 16MB
Cache) : 46824 MB free space required on
device \\?\Volume{ccb0a2e8-1e65-11df-adf5-
806d6172696f}\!
Error: New Volume (E:) @ Maxtor 6L300S0 (300GB,
SATA150, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 16MB Cache) :
15309 MB free space required on device \\?\
Volume{ccb0a2e9-1e65-11df-adf5-806d6172696f}\
!

<<< Optical Drives >>>

<<< Memory Bandwidth >>>

<<< Memory Latency >>>

<<< Cache and Memory >>>

<<< Network (LAN) >>>

Error: WORKGROUP : No hosts detected! : Could not
obtain the IP address of the host.

<<< >>>

CPU 2/Aux Temperature: 23.0C (Min 19.0C; Avg 21.0C; Max 23.0C)
System Fan 1: 861rpm (Min 819rpm; Avg 840rpm; Max 861rpm)
CPU 1 DC Line: 1.20V (Min 1.20V; Avg 1.22V; Max 1.25V)
CPU 2/Aux DC Line: 1.78V (Min 1.76V; Avg 1.77V; Max 1.78V)
+3.3V DC Line: 3.33V (Min 3.33V; Avg 3.33V; Max 3.33V)
+5V DC Line: 4.87V (Min 4.87V; Avg 4.87V; Max 4.87V)
+12V DC Line: 12.11V (Min 12.04V; Avg 12.07V; Max 12.11V)
Standby DC Line: 4.22V (Min 2.77V; Avg 3.49V; Max 4.22V)
Battery DC Line: 2.99V (Min 2.99V; Avg 2.99V; Max 2.99V)
CPU 1 Core Power: 72W (Min 72W; Avg 75W; Max 78W)

***** End of Report *****

Regards,

Dave.

#11 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

Looks okay. This eliminates overheating and hardware from the equation leaving only windows/malware/viruses to blame.
Mark Twain

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

What kind of CPU do you have? That will tell us what kind of cooling we are dealing with, and some windows tools do not interface well with the onboard thermal diodes that detect temperatures very well.

Can you tell us CPU Type, Brand, Speed, what kind of cooling you got, what case you have?

If your CPU was being stressed, then I would expect temps upwards of 60C or higher. I would only see your temps on a water cooled system with good ambient room temp and extremely good wire management.

Can you take a picture of the insides of your case?

My Quad Core 2.4Ghz Intel on stock cooling idles around 49 to 55C and jumps to 60 to 70C when gaming.

#13 Dave2y2k2

Dave2y2k2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:48 AM

Thats good then - just need to work out how to sort that out now.

Beep is a long continuos one - indicating a memory error from the Gigabyte link above . However as of last night it seems to freeze exactly the same but without the long beep - I think it just had one beep as if it couldn't do something and locked up at that point. This might be just because it hadn't logged into windows yet, whereas every other time its crashed after being logged in so i'll monitor it when I test again later.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

Thats good then - just need to work out how to sort that out now.

Beep is a long continuos one - indicating a memory error from the Gigabyte link above . However as of last night it seems to freeze exactly the same but without the long beep - I think it just had one beep as if it couldn't do something and locked up at that point. This might be just because it hadn't logged into windows yet, whereas every other time its crashed after being logged in so i'll monitor it when I test again later.

Can you answer my questions?

Award BIOS Beep COdes

High frequency beeps while running Overheated CPU Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.

That is the proper Beep Code you are experiencing. Your CPU is over heating.

Edited by cryptodan, 23 February 2010 - 09:01 AM.

#15 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

The long beep is not a BIOS beep code. They only occur at startup and if there is an error it will not boot into windows. My cpu temps are 31C at ide and 38C at full load with a PHenom IIx4 with Zalman heatsink. I'm not really worried about the temps being shown. The fact that it survived the burn in with out locking up is proof enough. I still lean towards malware/virus or corrupting hard drive/file system. Have you tried running chkdsk /r to check for hard drive errors? Have you looked into the event viewer for recent errors in the system and application logs?
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users