Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading ram adding a extra gig question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

Would it be possibly to add 1 gig of ram like 1 stick instead of 2 duel channel 512mb if I already have 1gb(512x2)
Did a scan from crucial here are results if you are interested http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/views...7D892FE31D926C3
Also could I do a upgrade to 3 gigs with my existing ram with 2x1gig since I just seen the ram prices are the same combine for 1gb (2x512) vs 2gb(1gigx2)
Here is the ram i want to use for 3gigs total since its on sale http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...acture=Kingston

Edited by mute20, 21 February 2010 - 11:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:01 AM

it all depends on the motherboard and how many memory slots available. 3 gigs with 2 1 gig sticks and 2 512 meg sticks would work if you had 4 memory slots-just make sure you pair the 2 alike modules. However if you only have 3 slots like many DDR boards did, you will need 3 1 gig modules to obtain 3 gigs of ram. Also note, that if you mix the speeds all the memory will run at the slower speed. so if you mixed that ddr400 with ddr333 the ddr400 will run at 333 mhz.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

Your board uses dual channel memory architecture if you are using more than one stick you must populate them in pairs in order for the board to to work properly. You can fill two slots or all four. the memory must be the same size, speed, timings, and latency. It is preferable to have them all from the same manufacturer as well but is not totally necessary. So either get two 512mb sticks to match your existing for your 2GB total or get two 1 GB and replace your existing. Persnally I would and the two 512MB as interleaving between the two pairs of memory should give you a better boost than replacing your existing pair with a larger pair.

Never mix memory speeds if at all possible. While it may on occasion work well (usually in non-dual channel systems) most of the time my experience has shown it doesn't work properly and can cause all kinds of random little errors and problems that can make you pull your hair out.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:45 PM

well hate to argue but thats standard DDR, which stands for dual data rate, however it doesnt mean you have to use pairs. DDR2 is where you really have the two channel, with DDR3 being triple channel. Now, DDR does run better in pairs and on some boards, it is required, however with DDR, with most decent boards of the day its not. In fact I have a old Gigabyte board out in the garage with only 3 slots-with a maximum of 3 gigs of ram. when DDR came out the ability to mix and match was much easier-pc133 was next to impossible to match in most boards (some allowed it but not many) but like baltboy said, for optimal performance you should run them in pairs and they should all run at the same speed and voltage with the same timings.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:19 PM

Mixing memory speeds is not a good idea as your motherboard will slow down the faster RAM to the slower RAM's speed. All RAM used should, under optimal conditions, be identical in a system. Also, dual and triple channel are built into a motherboard's memory controller. To the best of my knowledge, there are no triple channel DDR2 memory controllers but DDR3 can operate in a dual channel configuration. You can have a dual channel DDR3 setup (check the i5 motherboards). Since you're using an old DDR system, you have two, three, or four RAM slots to fill. If you have three, then the dual channel technology probably is not included with your board.

3939.png

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:06 AM

thats what I meant with triple channel-DDR3 is made for triple channel DDR2 is not. thankyou for clarifying that pace.

picard5.jpg

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

The motherboard uses dual channel memory. It has to use a pair of sticks as it alternately writes and reads between the sticks in order to increase performance. Dual channel motherboards have nothing to do with the DDR designation for the memory that only accounts for the way the memory functions internally. Even DDR3 can be run in single channel, dual channel, and in some boards triple channel. This is a function of the memory controller not the actual memory itself. In summary

Dual channel motherboard- uses matched pairs of memory to increase performance.

DDR- double data rate memory transfers data (2x over standard dimms) on the rising and falling edges of the clock cycle. DDR2- doubles ddr rate (4x over standard) DDR3- triples ddr rate (6x over standard)
Mark Twain

#8 mute20

mute20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

Installed ram yesterday seems to be working fine. Also what should I do to improve performance like changing page filing, etc.

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

How and what did you install. If you decided to install the single stick instead of matched pairs then your memory is only working in single channel mode. You should be able to see this in the BIOS post screen near the top. Single channel mode will reduce your system performance. Changing the paging file size used to have an impact in win98 but XP does a much better job managing it and it is better off left alone. The two best things i would suggest are cleaning out all of your miscellaneous files using disk cleanup and then defragment the drive. Also move large files and folders off your desktop and into files on the C drive. Then set up shortcuts to the files. This can reduce your cold boot time since there is less to load to the desktop.

edit: spelling

Edited by Baltboy, 26 February 2010 - 10:38 AM.

Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users