Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexpected restarts, now BSOD

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 obededom

obededom

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

This computer has been having problems for several months now. I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 (32 bit) around January 2nd, 2010. This is an HP with 3GB RAM and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Core Processor 6000+ 3GHz processor. The only recent hardware changes have been the installation of an LG GBC H20L Blu-ray BD-ROM around November of 2008. Before that, I installed an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT video card. The problems started about October 2009 - the computer would not boot properly, taking several attempts for it to finally boot up. It sounded as if the computer was trying to start for several seconds and would just continuously cycle on and off - it was strange. However, this only occurred for several weeks and has since not surfaced; I only make mention of it in case it is relevant to the current issue. Much more recently (beginning in late January), for several weeks to a month now, the computer has been unexpectedly restarting for no apparent reason. It has restarted while browsing on Firefox, while playing WoW, etc.; it wasn't associated with any specific program. There have only been 4 to 5 auto-restarts, and they have been spread out, as I mentioned, over 3 weeks to a month. Finally, today, the computer restarted unexpectedly like it has been, and about 30 minutes later, the computer BSOD'd, thus auto-restarting once more. Here is the Blue Screen dmp log:

==================================================
Dump File : 022110-22838-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2/21/2010 9:04:07 PM
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x00000050
Parameter 1 : 0xff6f0010
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0x82ea0425
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : halmacpi.dll
Caused By Address : halmacpi.dll+5b48
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\minidump\022110-22838-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600

Thank you for your time. :thumbsup:

Edited by obededom, 21 February 2010 - 10:54 PM.

"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

This computer has been having problems for several months now. I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 (32 bit) around January 2nd, 2010. This is an HP with 3GB RAM and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Core Processor 6000+ 3GHz processor. The only recent hardware changes have been the installation of an LG GBC H20L Blu-ray BD-ROM around November of 2008. Before that, I installed an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT video card. The problems started about October 2009 - the computer would not boot properly, taking several attempts for it to finally boot up. It sounded as if the computer was trying to start for several seconds and would just continuously cycle on and off - it was strange. However, this only occurred for several weeks and has since not surfaced; I only make mention of it in case it is relevant to the current issue. Much more recently (beginning in late January), for several weeks to a month now, the computer has been unexpectedly restarting for no apparent reason. It has restarted while browsing on Firefox, while playing WoW, etc.; it wasn't associated with any specific program. There have only been 4 to 5 auto-restarts, and they have been spread out, as I mentioned, over 3 weeks to a month. Finally, today, the computer restarted unexpectedly like it has been, and about 30 minutes later, the computer BSOD'd, thus auto-restarting once more. Here is the Blue Screen dmp log:

Dump File : 022110-22838-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2/21/2010 9:04:07 PM
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x00000050
Parameter 1 : 0xff6f0010
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0x82ea0425
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : halmacpi.dll
Caused By Address : halmacpi.dll+5b48
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\minidump\022110-22838-01.dmp

Thank you for your time. :thumbsup:

STOP 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
A hardware driver or system service requested data that was not in memory. The cause may be defective physical memory or incompatible software,especially remote control and antivirus programs. If the error occurs immediately after installing a device driver or application, try to use Safe Mode to remove the driver or uninstall the program. For more information, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/kb894278 & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/kb183169.

Try reading this artical from Microsoft for Stop error 0x00000050

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329293

Your stop error has many many possibilities. I would try runing memtest86 download version 4.0 here http://majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html make a bootable disk with memtest on it and run it for 3 hours or more.

Other than that, you have a bad driver installed.

After running memtest post back your results, if it's not memory related we're looking at a process of elimination here.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 February 2010 - 12:57 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:27 AM

Would this still apply to Windows 7, though?
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:00 AM

Would this still apply to Windows 7, though?

I edited my origional post a bit reread it about memtest86 and try running that first.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:05 AM

There is one thing we know here a stop 0x00000050 error is a hardware issue, plus it is pointing towards your HAL.

So lets try a memory test and see how that turns out.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:18 AM

The articals I posted from Micrsoft's website are for reference.
Although they say they are for Windows XP, they might apply to your situation.

#7 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:18 AM

There is one thing we know here a stop 0x00000050 error is a hardware issue, plus it is pointing towards your HAL.

So lets try a memory test and see how that turns out.

My computer has completely locked up twice since my OP. I went ahead and just updated my video card driver - I don't recall updating it for Windows 7. However, my computer did lock up not long after doing so. I will run memtest tomorrow when I have more time. Thanks for the help so far. :thumbsup:

Edited by obededom, 22 February 2010 - 01:18 AM.

#8 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:07 PM

Ok, here are today's events:

1. I tried to start the computer early today, but it froze during the start-up sequence twice.

2. I decided to reseat the memory for the heck of it.

3. I started the computer again, and this time, it successfully started up.

4. I then ran memtest86+ for a little over 5 hours. It went through 4 "passes" and there were no errors.

As of this posting, I just ended the memory test.

EDIT: Computer is now locking up, requiring hard shut-downs.

Just brain-storming here - could it be that my processor is over-heating? I will say that back when my computer wouldn't start up (as stated in my OP), I left the case open with a fan blasting air inside, and it *seemed* to have an effect.

Edited by obededom, 23 February 2010 - 10:09 AM.

#9 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:43 AM

My computer is still locking up, sometimes before it has even booted completely.

#10 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? The computer will not boot up at all, and I'd like some guidance before I start buying parts as I don't have the finances to test replacemts parts (if it is hardware, that is).

#11 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

may be a long shot but turn off computer as normal, take out your ac adapter lead lead and plug from wall, then put back in again and see if that helps.

like i said it may be a long shot but would not hurt to try
and by the looks of it you have reseated your memory sticks, have you tried swapping them?? may work.

#12 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

may be a long shot but turn off computer as normal, take out your ac adapter lead lead and plug from wall, then put back in again and see if that helps.

like i said it may be a long shot but would not hurt to try
and by the looks of it you have reseated your memory sticks, have you tried swapping them?? may work.

Plugging power cable into different outlets and unplugging/replugging produced the same results - frozen on HP splash screen.

Removing my GeForce 8800 GT and using the integrated video card also produced the same results - frozen on HP splash screen.

With my video card removed, I am now trial-and-error-ing the memory. I still have the same RAM sticks that came with the computer; those are two Hynix 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300U-555-12 sticks and two Hynix 512MB 1RX8 PC2-5300U-555-12 sticks. The motherboard is an ECS MCP61PM-HM. Here's what I did and what happened after the first test combination (I'm still in the process of testing all sticks and all slots):

1) Removed both 1GB sticks

2) Upon boot-up, and this is quite curious, the normal blue and white HP splash screen was now red and black. Keep in mind that I'm using the integrated video card and had tried (with the integrated) to boot up twice before (with normal colors). Just something strange.

3) The computer finally did NOT freeze on the splash screen. Windows now showed the Windows Error Recovery screen letting me enter i) Launch Startup Repair or ii) Start Windows Normally. I chose to start the startup repair.

4) Windows began the startup repair, and then this error occurred:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

Ok, after several different RAM combinations, I was finally able to boot the computer up. My motherboard has four RAM slots, and I was able to boot the computer with one of the 1GB sticks in the third slot. After successfully booting the computer, I then put the video card back in. It has been running completely fine since for about 2-3 hours now. I've looked up lots of driver updates via HP. There is currently no update for my motherboard's BIOS for Windows 7, but I was able to update several other drivers.

Now, I'm going to figure out which RAM slot or which RAM stick is bad.

Edited by obededom, 06 March 2010 - 10:24 PM.

#14 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

I've been running this computer on two 1GB sticks fine for the past 24 hours or so. Then, I got another BSOD while playing the Starcraft II beta. Here's the log:

Dump File : 030710-19468-01.dmp
Crash Time : 3/7/2010 7:05:02 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000116
Parameter 1 : 0x8702e510
Parameter 2 : 0x8f6f1a30
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x00000002
Caused By Driver : nvlddmkm.sys
Caused By Address : nvlddmkm.sys+e2a30
File Description : NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 196.21
Product Name : NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 196.21
Company : NVIDIA Corporation
File Version : 8.17.11.9621
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\minidump\030710-19468-01.dmp

I've re-installed this card's drivers 3 times before this crash, the most recent of which was a completely clean/fresh install. FWIW, I'm running RivaTuner v2.24 to adjust fan speeds. It's definitely not overheating (it's idling at ~63­°). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: After attempting to play Starcraft II again, the following happened (along with "snowflakes" appearing on the screen):

Posted Image

Edited by obededom, 07 March 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

Well...have you considered that your GPU may be bad?

Updating drivers or reinstalling same...won't cure that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users