Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've got PC Antivirus 2010

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

Hello,

I've got PC Antivirus 2010. I've searched the net for ways to get rid of it to no avail. I've even read the guide offered by bleepingcomputer here but the problem is that PC Antivirus won't even let me install MBAM. As soon as I tell the installation to run, PC Antivirus comes up and cancels the installation on me. I can't disable it in time through the task manager either.

There must be some other way. Please help.

Edited by gib65, 21 February 2010 - 10:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

Hello and welcome .. You have a slighlty different malware than that guide.
I am moving this over to the Am I Infected forum.

First run RKill.... then MBAM

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
You will need to run the application again if rebooting the computer occurs along the way as the malware programs will start again.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.44) and save it to your desktop.Download Link 1
Download Link 2
MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:47 AM

Unfortunately this didn't work.

Rkill seemed to end all malicious software, but PC Antivirus still keeps coming up every time I try to install MBAM (even when downloaded from the links you provided) and stops the installation at the very beginning.

JFYI, rkill killed a whole bunch of processes the first time I ran it but none of them were av.exe (which I know runs PC Antivirus because when I kill that process in the task manager, PC Antivirus abruptly halts). Whenever I run rkill after the first time, it kills one process: fssm32.exe, but this process starts up again only seconds after it's been killed (whether by rkill or by myself in task manager).

Any other suggestions? Can MBAM scan my computer from a remote location?

#4 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

UPDATE:

I got it to work by booting in safe mode and logging into the administrator account. PC Antivirus doesn't seem to come up in the administrator account. I installed and ran MBAM and it *seems* to have worked.

However, I think MBAM inadvertantly got rid of EXPLORER.EXE and now many of Window's basic applications (like My Computer, Control Panel, Internet Explorer) won't work. They either give the error message "C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE Application not found" or it asks me which application I want to open it in (ex. with IE it asks me this and I have to tell it IE - but then it shuts down).

I checked to see if explorer.exe was missing and it wasn't. I copied the same file from another computer over to mine just in case it was corrupted, but that didn't solve the problem. I'm guessing it must have something to do with the registry, but I don't want to touch that unless instructed to by a professional.

Does this sound familiar? Any recommended solution?

Edited by gib65, 22 February 2010 - 01:41 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

Can you post the scan log so I can see what was removed. This doe not normallly happen.

Edited by boopme, 22 February 2010 - 03:16 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3776
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

2/22/2010 10:31:45 AM
mbam-log-2010-02-22 (10-31-45).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 126531
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 52 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 3
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Gibr\Local Settings\Application Data\av.exe (ROGUE.Win7Antispyware2010) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Gibr\oashdihasidhasuidhiasdhiashdiuasdhasd (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

Hello,Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.

Next run ATF and SAS: If you cannot access Safe Mode,run in normal ,but let me know.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.

#8 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

Hello,Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK

This is as far as I can get. The sfc utility flashes what looks like a command prompt window at me for a brief second and then nothing happens. Although I'm not running vista (XP pro), I tried your suggestion for Vista users and opened a permanent command window and typed sfc /scannow. It halted immediately giving this error message:

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.].

Could this have anything to do with running in safe mode (with networking) in an administrator account?

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

Quite possibly as safe mogeloads the minimal requirements for the system to operate.

I think to be on the safe side it best if we us DDS.

You will need to Download and Run DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log..
If for some reason you cannot perform a step, move on to the next.
Please follow this guide. go and do steps 6 thru 8 ,, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help . Then go here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users