Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How best to update win2k laptop last used april 2007

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

I'm trying to update my Sony VIAO GXR600 running windows 2k sp4 prof. I last used it in april of 2007 when it suddenly would only boot into safe mode and I didn't have time to troubleshoot. For some reason after "resting" in its satchel for 3 moves it decided to boot into windows w/out problems again. It has a nice large screen so as long as it works I'd like to use it. I've been squinting at my thinkpad's screen since the Sony went down.

I'm trying to update it w/out straining its resources. It's pretty slow. I'll mostly use it for word processing and internet browsing. It should also be good for watching my Mueller's training dvds and those how to videos I can't hear on the thinkpad [they put the speakers on the bottom of the x41]

It has a 1.8 Pentium 4, 512 RAM & a 30 GB hd. Shortly before it had boot issues the hd was reformatted and the OS re-installed and all the updates done. When I checked w/ Windows Update today there were 80 updates for the OS and 13 for ms office.

I also need to update things like adobe reader [5.0] and windows media player [7.1]. I updated firefox and ie [and they now have wmp 9 plugins]. Win2k wasn't one of the OS choices at the ie7 download site, so I updated ie6. I only use ie for windows updates anyway.

I have Symantec End Point Protection as my current av/firewall. I plan to replace SEP w/ avira or avast, but I'll also need a firewall. I have Firefox set up w/ noscript and web of trust and use a router.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as updating this computer? Should I download adobe reader 9 or 8 or would Foxit's reader be a better choice? Which windows media player would be a good balance between security and expecting resources this old computer doesn't have?

Are there any win2k updates I should avoid? I'm not going to try to download 80 at once. I've already spotted one listed update that is supposedly already installed per add/remove programs.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users