Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer freezes after short time of activity.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fasana!

Fasana!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:46 PM

Hello All A newbie here but a seasoned computer user. I have been stumped! I also have this problem of compter freezing after idle and screensaver starts. No viruses or spy where or bad memory nor bad graphics card ect. cpu running at 35 Deg Cel. power supply running fine and all pluged in as normal. I have run scan after scan to find nothing! Any ideas would be a great help!

ALSO PLEASE PRAY FOR OUR PEOPLE IN NEED FROM KATRINAS WRATH.

Thanks,

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:07 AM

Have you tested the hdd? I'd run the hdd manufacturers diagnostic tool on the drive to make sure it's healthy.

Having said that it could be a software problem, has this started after installing something new?

The next time it freezes have a look here:

Start
Control Panel
Performance and Maintenace
Admin Tools
Event Viewer
System

Highlight a error then click properties, then click on the link below For more information, see Help and Support Center as this may give you information on how to solve the error.

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:27 PM

Also some programs really hate going into standby, Outlook does this occasionally, and that can sometimes crash the computer. Again, this would show up more with a newly installed piece of software or hardware.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:40 PM

Try picking another screensaver.
Sometimes a file used by a particular screensaver can become corrupted.

#5 Fasana!

Fasana!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:23 AM

Well I have removed my 300 gig hd (External) newly purchased. also removed the software that comes with it. No freezing yet but was watching and it started to lag but did not freeze. will let it sit tomorrow most oh the day. thanks for the replies will post to see if this will work.

brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users