Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell opti plex GX1

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

hi all at bleeping computer,

Well as i type this there is a dell opti plex GX1 under my bed, the reason for it being under the bed is it's mouse and keyboard port kick the bucket and the usb ports were obliterated when i stepped on a plugged in usb cable. now any other time i would simply put in my pci usb card, but now i have a bios error because i left the computer unplugged for a few days and the bios battery died and with out the keyboard I can't get passed the screen asking me to hit F1 or F2 to enter bios.

Is there a way to get into bios and clear this or is there a way to fix the keyboard port?

This computer is great as a server but i cant use it right know because of this anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

hi all at bleeping computer,

Well as i type this there is a dell opti plex GX1 under my bed, the reason for it being under the bed is it's mouse and keyboard port kick the bucket and the usb ports were obliterated when i stepped on a plugged in usb cable. now any other time i would simply put in my pci usb card, but now i have a bios error because i left the computer unplugged for a few days and the bios battery died and with out the keyboard I can't get passed the screen asking me to hit F1 or F2 to enter bios.

Is there a way to get into bios and clear this or is there a way to fix the keyboard port?

This computer is great as a server but i cant use it right know because of this anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Well I need to ask what you mean by "The keyboard port kicked the bucket."

Do you mean the socket is damaged or are you saying the keyboard chip on motherboard is blown?

What type of port is it? PS2 or USB?

There are USB keyboards that you could use as long as you have access to a USB port.

If you damaged the socket the PS2 keyboard goes to, you will need to do an electronics repair, requiring a soldering pencil, solder and another socket from a damaged or discarded motherboard with the same socket. If you don't have a spare, you can buy a new PS2 socket at any electronics store such as Radio Shack.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

well see the problem is that I broke the usb's as well, and yes its a ps2, could i replace the usb ports i have tried to before on a laptop but to no avail.

Edited by computerxpds, 21 February 2010 - 01:54 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users