Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rain05

rain05

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:03 PM

i am new to linux os. i am using win 2k right now. my friend tell me that linux is the best
i am unsure of installing linux as my os because i have no knowlege of it.

here are my questions:
1. does linux has low system requirements?
2. if i install microsoft softwares (office 2003, etc.) does the system will allow it.
3. does it have good desktop? what i mean is does it look good?
4. how manageble is it compared to win xp?
5. is the security systems strong?

i have heard that many versions of the OS are available.
what is the best versions?

thanxxxx......

Edited by rain05, 06 September 2005 - 02:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 awg1011

awg1011

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:02 PM

I'm also new to Linux and have been learning a lot and still have much much more to learn.

There are many diffrent distros, it's open source, so anyone who wants to, can make their own version.

I'm running Ubuntu Linux on a 450mhz, 256 RAM, it's a little slow, but it works just fine, as far as min requirements, you'd have to check with each distro.

I don't know if MS Office is able to run on Linux, but you can get open source versions of most anything by or for Windows. For example, Open Office is much like Office 2003 only it's free.

The desktops seem to be unlimted, and depends on which desktop enviroument you want, I prefer KDE. Yes, they can look very good.

Linux isn't as easy to use as windows, Best thing is to buy a book on how to use linux, some even come with a Linux CD.

From what I understand, security is very strong.

You can always get a live CD, put it in to a bootable CD drive on your windows machine, and restart you computer, it will run Linux off the CD, in RAM, so you can get a feel for it, and it won't hurt you Windows.

I have been told that MEPIS is a good one for beginers, I plan on trying it, I also plan on getting Kubuntu (Ubuntu with the KDE desktop enviroment).

Good luck, hopefully someone else can answer you questions more directly.

Edited by awg1011, 05 September 2005 - 10:06 PM.

#3 rain05

rain05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:39 AM

thanx a lot.
is red hat linux good?

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:51 AM

RedHat is good.
I suggest you try one of the LiveCD's before venturing into
a full install. This way you can get a good feel for Linux without
making changes to your current system.
Knoppix is a real good one to start with.
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 JustAFriend

JustAFriend

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:45 AM

I've been running Linux for the last 3 years. I had a spare hard drive that I dual booted Win98SE and Mandrake 8. Worked fine. I told myself that if I wanted to learn Linux, I'm going to have to start using it. So I booted into Linux all the time. After 6 months, I wiped Windows off the hard drive and never looked back.
Over the years I would go to Ebay and buy a spare hard drive and install another distro of Linux on that hard drive and run it at least a month to get a feel for it. I would also subscribe to that corresponding newsgroup and read up on how to do things in that distro.
Linux ain't windows, thank God. I have no worries about spyware, adware, malware, virus while running Linux. No disk defragmentation to do on a regular basis, no activation, no registration.
Currently I am running Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 on 20 gb hard drive, 1.3mhz processor, 384mb RAM, ATI video, blah, blah, blah.
I'm on broadband. My router has built in protection from hackers and I also have services that I'm not running shut off. It's that easy.
Distrowatch.com has all the latest distros of Linux. Take a peek.

#6 amf57

amf57

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:43 AM

In answer to the first post....

Each distro has various requirements. A linux system without the GUI only requires (On average) 64M ram. Using Xwindows the minimum requirement is 128M although 256 is more highly recommended. Of course as with any OS; the more ram the better.

The wine project allows MS office to run directly on Linux, however, openOffice is every bit as good.

As for security, the system will be as secure as you make it. IPTABLES, hosts.allow/hosts.deny files etc.

As a desktop machine, there may be limitations on software that hasn't been ported out; however there is probably more free software than you could possibly even have time to check out.

The best part, IMHO, is Linux is a phenominal development machine and is just about any kind of server you need it to be.

Snag up another hard drive for your desktop machine. On a laptop, unfortunately you will need to repartition in order to have some room for linux. Cygwin is a small distro that will run directly within Windows. VMWare is another viable solution.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:04 AM

Try Puppy Linux. It is a live verison but can be mounted on a hard drive. Live meaning it runs from the CD, or whatever media you want to boot from (USB pendrive, ZIP, LS-120,...). If you have a burner is will actually burn you data or preferences to the CD for the next time. I am running it on a 133mhz P-I w/32mb RAM just for fun. I also run it from a P-III 450/256mb/CD-RW with VNC to monitor my other computers. If you try it read the info first so you can plan out how you want to use it.

From RAM you need 256mb/CD-RW

From RAM and store data and preferences to HD you need 128mb/HD space

From Hard Drive I would read up on it but 100mb+ should be plenty

This distro looks and feels like Windows 98
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users