Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Move XP installation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 godsstigma

godsstigma

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

My friend's hard drive that houses his xp installation is failing. The XP installation was an upgrade from ME on a FAT32 formatted drive, so the only disk he has is the upgrade disk. We have bought a new drive which we would like to use as a replacement and format to NTFS.

Is there a way to move the XP upgrade installation to this new drive without XP complaining about a new hardware configuration or can you perform a full new installation of XP with the upgrade disk?

Please forgive me if this has already been posted but I couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

My friend's hard drive that houses his xp installation is failing. The XP installation was an upgrade from ME on a FAT32 formatted drive, so the only disk he has is the upgrade disk. We have bought a new drive which we would like to use as a replacement and format to NTFS.

Is there a way to move the XP upgrade installation to this new drive without XP complaining about a new hardware configuration or can you perform a full new installation of XP with the upgrade disk?

Well if you don't have the WinME disc then I don't think it will work. As you say WinXP makes an hardware configuration of the computers its install on to. Therefore the hard drive will be different so it won't accept it.

If you buy a WinXP CD then you can do a fresh install no problem.

There are disc imaging apps about. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

Using a disk imaging software to transfer the old drive to the new drive. Then follow the steps here to convert to NTFS. http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:26 PM

Examples of cloning (disk imaging) software:

EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Drive Clone Pro, version 7.0 - http://www.farstone.com/software/driveclone-pro.php

Louis

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

Hard drive manufacturers may provide free cloning software, eg for Seagate/Maxtor drives:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/d...oads/discwizard

Also, keep in the back of your mind that if a FAT32 partition is converted to NTFS, on some occasions it may not be possible to set up the default 4k clusters, and the resulting 512 byte cluster partition will have reduced performance.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

clonezilla is a unix based tool for cloning windows (or any thing else)

In those days it was possible to fool the upgrade disk and do a new ntfs install. I don't remember what the workaround was but google will know if you can ask the right questions. The xp upgrade worked on me and w98 disks I am pretty sure, which is one of the reasons I keep a couple of w98 Iso images in the library.

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

Lot's of detailed info here from the elder geek:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installa..._windows_xp.htm

If you are installing from a full version Windows XP CD the installation continues without intervention. If you’re using an upgrade version CD this is where Microsoft confirms your eligibility by requesting the media that allows you to use the upgrade version. Insert your media in the drive, let the verification complete and reinsert the XP CD when prompted.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 22 February 2010 - 07:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users