Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keys acting as if there is something else present. BIOS?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 londonliving

londonliving

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

Hi there

Posted details below in the Windows XP forum.

Dear Reader

As my old laptop Dell Inspiron 1501 - BIOS 2.6.3 was getting more frustrating, even with a larger hard drive (320Gb), it was showing it's age.

I took the decision to install Windows 7 on what had been the XP pro partition on the original 80Gb drive.

The partition was formatted via a Sharkoon USB external drive connector and Partition Magic 8.

I was fairly underwhelmed with the Win 7 (64 bit) performance, though the install was pretty quick.

I pointed the User Documents to the second partition D: using regedit.

Programs installed:
  • NOD32 from ESET
  • WinRAR
  • Lightroom 2.6
  • Microsoft Live Cam
  • Adobe Flash
  • Silverlight
  • Camtasia
Then for the problems.

During screen recording, the driver for the ATI card kept being recovered. Camtasia stopped recording.

Whilst trying to type in to fill a form, the Space Bar kept acting as Enter and Backspace was acting as Alt + Left Arrow

So, I thought, there must be something strange on here, let's check with http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php as I have the paid version.

The quick scan detected three items:
  • trojan.agent
  • trojan.backdoor
  • something I couldn't read...because the computer automatically clicked yes and removed them, then restarted itself.
It would not restart properly, and kept hanging at the Dell welcome screen with the status bar reaching 100% and nothing happening.

I managed to progress to Win 7 by removing all power and restart with F2 to get to the boot options.

Then I was unable to login - the wrong username and password were used...

...except I hadn't touched the keyboard!

Now the reason for this post being in the XP section.

As I had tried the new OS on a separate physical internal hard drive, I just thought I would swap back the original larger XP pro drive (recovery console is installed).

I get the same issue with the Dell progress bar and although there is no welcome screen for this setup, I still don't get through until using F2 for the boot options and removing all power and battery.

As this had been an issue with the Win 7 login, I thought I would try recovery console...

...but it gets halfway and then the internal Bleep of the computer gives a recurring noise - despite speakers being disabled.

When I have got through to Win XP Pro, I try to launch MBAM, which has a shortcut on a folder on the desktop.
  • A single click on the folder generates multiple openings of the folder. (Typically 7)
  • Double clicking on MBAM generates multiple warnings saying it is already running (Typically 29). The copy that is running is repeatedly aborted and out of memory errors can show up.
I have to shut down the computer by removing power and battery.

All in all, I am stuck.

Any help is appreciated.

LL

----Update:

I tried to install Linux Mandriva 2010 and am getting similar issues.

It seems the keys have lost their mapping. Enter as a key doesn't wok, but Ctrl + M does!

This shows up when using the for Setup, generating beeps on occasion even though the speakers are off.

During the Mandriva install attempt, a drop down menu kept reacting to an invisible Enter key press.

The keyboard was replaced by Dell under warranty around 8 months ago, but nothing is spilt on it and it is generally well looked after.

All suggestions welcome.

LL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:24 AM

Some updates:

I have reinstalled the BIOS from Dell 2.6.3 / Dec 2007 which is the last and the same as the one I had.

Each time the machine starts it produces a motherbaord beep and you have to press a key to continue the sequence.

When the Win 7 login screen appears, it (almost) immediately starts the login cycle, which can be ESC out of, but says the username / password was incorrect!

I manage to get into the system (which I am using to type this on) and apart from the ENTER key not working, all seems to function. CTRL + M sometimes works, but not everywhere!

Will investigate the key itself, but another development is more concerning.

During the early hours (between 03:00 and 05:00) the machine fan comes on, drive clicks and it shuts down again.

It might be it does this after the laptop is closed for a while, or it might be it is transmitting something I would prefer to keep private! :thumbsup:

I'll look into other scans here on Bleeping Computer and see what else I can do.

A pen drive I used also became corrupted and was reformatted, so it is now testing as a ReadyBoost space.

Bizarrely Win 7 (ultimate) has actually been a reasonable path compared to Vista (which I dropped and reverted to XP).

Issues with graphics playing are possibly driver related as Dell haven't officially sanctioned the 1501 for Win 7, but it was 'built for Vista'.

The other thing is the Win 7 was not a Dell supplied upgrade, but a full box copy as a gift.

More updates after the scans.

LL

#3 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:36 AM

UPDATE (scans still running)

IE8 crashes failry often and the last 'Restore last browsing session' sent me to a single Twitter page:

h**p://twitter.com/Xomsel?utm_medium=email&utm_content=profile&evid=ECTFqVWbOwz7mTQFGyDAjL6HBxXoi84SqefNhulxyVs%3D&utm_source=follow&utm_campaign=twitter20080331162631

Now the users language is in Russian, but I have no clue how this could be restored as I have never seen it before. The previous session had around 8 tabs open mostly to do with this problem.

Might be perfectly innocent, but the last 'follow&utm_campaign' seem more than suspecious.

The translation is odd...

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/tra...7zDh6TG4WHtBaCQ

and it points to a site:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/tra...4a59u5rlFjbia_Q

Wondering what the scans might show now.

LL

#4 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:57 AM

Scans are still running.

I have found a thread which may deal with the IE8 issue, but no explaination for this (but I have not noticed slow typing:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...;threadid=97507

Could be a combination of an older battery and a display driver from ATI...

More later.

#5 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

Laptop came on at 04:45 made noises, then returned to hibernate.

Any suggestions as the scans still returned nothing.

ENTER also still doesn't function on the keyboard.

LL

#6 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

Might be a Windows 7 battery protection for odd times, but not certain. Still hoping for help LL

#7 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

Found a topic here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...hp/t295030.html

Which mentioned a suspect program:

3186910a :thumbsup:

Which I found by running the startup configuration

Control Panel > System and Security > Find and fix problems > Check for perfomance issues

When the perfomance tab comes up click 'Advanced' then deselect the 'Apply repairs automatically'.

How can I remove this 3186910a? :flowers:

Thanks

LL

Edited by londonliving, 11 March 2010 - 11:26 AM.

#8 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:39 PM

Digging through the Windows firewall another suspicious entry:

instmodule.exe

Wondering how I bump this thread as it is taking ages for help :thumbsup:

Thanks

LL

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

Hi,

if you have the opportunity I would definitely try a different keyboard and see if that removes part/most of your problems. Then could you please check that if your anti virus program is scheduled to run a scan at 3AM daily? This may be the reason why the fans get on, and if your PC is getting dusty, it may be overheating and causing the shutdowns as well. As a general matter: Are the fans turned on a lot or only between 3 and 5AM?

Could you please provide the log from Malwarebytes when you first scanned and found the infections? Can you please also provide an updated scan from Malwarebytes.

Just for the future: You may want to avoid bumping, since people will think that someone has already replied to you when the reply counter isn't 0. :thumbsup:
regards myrti

Edited by myrti, 20 March 2010 - 07:23 PM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

Hi Myrti

Thanks for the advice.

I think that Windows was updating at those times - I turned it off today!

As for the keyboard, the laptop one works, except ENTER my bluetooth keyboard has all keys working! This only happened AFTER installing Windows 7 :: crazy::

I'll re-run MBAM tonight and post up tomorrow.

Thanks for your help so far.

LL

Edited by londonliving, 21 March 2010 - 03:25 PM.

#11 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,766 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hi,

maybe there aren't any drivers for your keyboard that are compatible with Windows7. It would really help to see if the problems stop when you change keyboard.

Happy to see you found the reason for the activity during nights.

regards myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#12 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

Bizarrely the MBAM scan came up empty:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3898
Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

22/03/2010 12:01:36
mbam-log-2010-03-22 (12-01-36).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 456119
Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 12 minute(s), 28 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

----------------

Pleasantly surprised by those results, but I still have these things present:

instmodule.exe

and

3186910a?

Not entirely certain if there is anything further we can check with, but as I am not very familiar with Win 7 I would like to make sure.

As it is a laptop, nothing has been spilt on it so the keyboard *should* be fine, but the ENTER key doesn't do anything. With an external bluetooth keyboard, it *does* work, suggesting hardware fault.

Any suggestions?

LL

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,766 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

Hi,

replacing a laptop keyboard is a PITA but not undoable. If you have still warranty on the laptop I would also consider sending it in.

but I still have these things present:

instmodule.exe

and

3186910a?

Could you please tell me exactly where you found them? What folder? Without an exact path it is hard to tell.

regards myrti

#14 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

The keyboard is actually under a year old, as the first developed jumping keys - keys that sprang back a little too high when your fingers left them.

This keyboard lost its scroll lock key on day 1 but all else has been fine.

When I get back to the machine, I'll get the folder path info on the suspect files.

Thanks again for your help.

LL

Edited by londonliving, 23 March 2010 - 11:54 AM.

#15 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:28 AM

I have been managing with an external keyboard on this machine while looking for a solution.

So far nothing conclusive, yet it points towards a 64 bit driver issue for Win 7.

I am keen to solve and share the information on the car crash that is MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit running on an older Dell 1501 laptop. :thumbsup: As ever Dell are of limited help when the problem is tricky.

Generally, I would consider this an upgrade to XP, except for the inability to type without using an on screen or external keyboard!

LL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users