Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is it really worth upgradeing to windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 binini

binini

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:53 AM

im always looking for ways to improve my computer, and i have heard a lot of stuff about windows 7 some good and some bad?

some friends tell me the upgrade made there computer easyer to use and got rid of lots of problems but other tell me its the worste thing they ever did, it took them ages to install it and copy files, and they want to go back to XP

So really the question is. Is it worth upgradeing from XP to seven. Aslo will i be able to run all my games and programms on windows seven that i use currently or will i have to wait for a windows seven version?

P.S which version of 7 is best for what it does and is good value for money

thanks =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

I went from XP-PRO to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 byte and I think it was a good move. When I get in the mood I will update to Pro 64. M/S site has a checker to see if your programs will still work when using W7. I'm not a gamer so I can't help you there. IMHO W7 is faster and easier to use. I have less problems with W7 than any other OS that I have used. Also there is an option within windows 7 Ultimate that is called XP mode, this might be the one for you and your gaming.

Edited by Layback Bear, 21 February 2010 - 08:20 AM.

#3 binini

binini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:29 AM

great thanks you had any problems with 7? oh and how was the upgradeing

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:18 AM

There is no upgrade unless you are currently using Vista. XP users must "migrate" to Windows 7. Which is, to say, you must backup all your data, documents, photos, music, etc....and perform a clean install of Windows 7. Then you must install all the programs you want to run (you can't bring them with you from XP because of the clean install). There are transfer tools available from Microsoft (and other companies, I'm sure) that are supposed to make the migration process easier, but I cannot vouch for any of them, as I have never used any of them.

Here is the basic procedure for migrating to Windows 7:

First, make sure your system is going to be compatible with Windows 7. Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and report back here with the results.

The next step is to go to the website of your computer's manufacturer, and see if they have Windows 7 drivers for your model. Most do these days, so no worries there. Download all the Windows 7 drivers for your model's hardware (they will come in handy after the install).

Then, either use a backup program to backup all your documents, photos, music, etc.....or find them manually and copy them to an external device (depending on how much you have, a flash drive may or may not be big enough. I use an external hard drive).

Now, gather up all your program disks, downloaded installers, etc....and have those handy. That will likely be the first thing you want to do (install your programs) after the clean install of Windows 7 (drivers should come first, though).

And the fun part comes....you now have your Windows 7 install disk (hint: if you're waiting on it to arrive in the mail or to download from Microsoft's website, you can be doing the above steps in the time you have to prepare). Insert it into your optical drive, and change the BIOS setting in order to boot off the optical drive first (if you haven't done this before, somebody can walk you through it when/if you get to that point). Be patient while the installation takes place.

After about an hour or less (and having gone through the basic setup), you should see your new Windows 7 desktop. First things first: install the drivers you downloaded earlier. Install all of them one right after the other, then reboot (a lot of them will require reboots, and there is no need to do it more than once...so just wait til the end).

Next, install all your programs you want to use. NOTE: There a plenty of programs made for XP that still work in Windows 7 (Microsoft Money 2006 is a confirmed success, for example). However, you may encounter programs that will not work correctly in Windows 7 like they did in XP. This calls for "Compatibility Mode" which works the majority of the time. And if worse comes to worse, you can install and use XP Mode assuming you have an edition higher than Home Premium (Pro and Ultimate are the only ones that can run XP mode) and a processor than has "Hardware Assisted Virtualization".

I know this seems like a lot, but I just wanted to let you know what you are getting into. Windows 7 is an excellent operating system, and is very much worth your time. Not to say, that is, that you will not have problems (every OS has problems). But you can get them sorted out and enjoy Windows 7 like we all do. There are the sticklers out there that will use XP until their dying day, and they are missing out, in my opinion. And then there are people like you who need some convincing. If you want to live with the old, out-of-date XP, there is nobody to stop you. But if you want to experience the latest and greatest of Windows 7, you have a lot to gain and nothing to lose (beside the occasional game or program that gives you grief, but I addressed that earlier).

Everybody will have their own opinion about Windows 7, and not all of them are positive. There will always be the complainers. I personally love it, and wouldn't go back to XP or Vista if you payed me. It's just that good. :huh:

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it needed to be said.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

im always looking for ways to improve my computer, and i have heard a lot of stuff about windows 7 some good and some bad?

some friends tell me the upgrade made there computer easyer to use and got rid of lots of problems but other tell me its the worste thing they ever did, it took them ages to install it and copy files, and they want to go back to XP

So really the question is. Is it worth upgradeing from XP to seven. Aslo will i be able to run all my games and programms on windows seven that i use currently or will i have to wait for a windows seven version?

P.S which version of 7 is best for what it does and is good value for money

thanks =)

Hi binini.

I migrated from Windows XP Sp3 to Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit.

First off, I used the upgrade version which says "designed for Windows Vista" on the package. (However this can also be used for Windows XP SP3)

The difference is that there are so many changes to Windows OS from XP to WIN 7 that for the migration to work correctly, Microsoft has it designed to make a new Windows folder and rename your Windows XP folder Windows.old.

So technicaly Your origional folder is still on the harddrive after the upgrade. Any thing that was on the drive C: directory is still there after the upgrade, anything that was origionaly in your start menu Programs folder would now be in the windows.old folder.

Now, just so you know, if you decide to do a fresh install of Windows 7, you can use the Windows 7 upgrade disk! The upgrade disks cost about $70 US dollars less then a Full installation disk! All you need is a copy of a previous edition of Windows, such as the Windows XP cdrom, or any copy of windows, to show you are entitled to an upgrade.

You need a mininum of 1 Gb of memory to run Windows 7 and at least a Processor that runs at 1000 Mhz. or faster.

There is a program that helps with the migration, its available on one of the Microsoft web site links I'm providing below.

First go to this link and download the upgrade advisor program, it scans your PC to see if it is Windows 7 ready and advises you what you need to do to make Windows 7 work on your PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...de-advisor.aspx

This link will help you with a tutorial from Microsoft on how to upgrade XP to Windows 7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...xp-to-windows-7

Here is yet another Microsoft link called getting started with windows 7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...getting-started

This link is to the Windows 7 compatibility center. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...us/default.aspx

There is a program on one of those pages that will make a backup copy of your whole XP OS which is saved as one file, you can save it to a flash drive after it is created, then once your upgrade is finished, you can use the program you used to make the .mig file to migrate everything into Windows 7.

If you want my personal opinion of Windows 7, as a person who migrated from Windows XP Service pack 3, I feel it is very stable, Ihave not had one crash since I installed it over XP in December of 2009!

I get the feeling it is impossible to crash this OS and I do a lot of risky software installs because I like researching freeware programs to give advice to others.

Windows 7 has a lot of assistance programs built right into the OS to help users solve problems, a hidden feature called Godmode conveinently adds ALL those hidden features into one icon on your desktop.

Windows 7 also has compaibilty mode which runs a program as if you were using Windows XP again!

I could go on and on about the good, but I fell you need to take the plunge and experiment for your self.

As for the bad? I haven't found any to post yet regarding Windows 7 and I am a power user, I guess that means I'm very satisfied so far.

Hope my post has helped you and others who have been deciding to take the plunge.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for elaborating on some things I missed, MrBruce1959. :thumbup2:

But I can tell you, it is possible to crash Windows 7. It is possible to crash any OS. While Windows 7 may be less likely to crash for any given user/computer/etc., it still happens. Trust me, I've done it more than once. :huh: :huh: Most of the time, it was just screwy drivers that were easy to fix. And other times, it was just an anomaly that didn't happen again. But it can happen. I don't want to give a potential new user a false sense of hope about the stability. It is more stable (WAY more stable than Vista!!), but not invincible. :inlove:

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

MrBruce1959 how do we find this Godmode. I tried search off of Start and had no luck.

#8 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

It isn't anything that you can't get to in Control panel, it's just control panel in list form. I named the shortcut on mine "Idiot List."
http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2010/01/05/...ows-7-god-mode/

Edited by RknRusty, 21 February 2010 - 05:48 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

MrBruce1959 how do we find this Godmode. I tried search off of Start and had no luck.

You right click your desktop and look for NEW then click FOLDER

Where the folders name goes add this line below

GodMode (.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C})

Once it is saved there will be an icon called GodMode in the same spot the folder once existed.

Double click that icon and you will see a list of all of window's CONTROL PANEL features plus a whole lot more.

This also works for Windows Vista as well, but not XP.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 February 2010 - 06:00 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

That is not entirely correct. The parenthesis will cause it to not work. :huh:

This one is correct.

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

#11 binini

binini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:26 PM

anyone here regret getting windows 7?

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Only regretting that I didn't get it sooner......so no. :huh:

Trust me, you'll love it. :huh:

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

Thanks to all. I got godmode and I think it's great. One click and every thing is there.

#14 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

Windows 7 is best if you don't try to make it XP or Vista. It's document-centric rather than program-centric. With one click of Explorer, the libraries with your documents are all in front of you, and the taskbar programs are all associated with your recent and favorite files, so no need for all the junk on the desktop.

It took me a while to realize I was trying to force it to look like the others, only complicating things. Quick access to your programs and files is all about simplicity.

#15 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:51 AM

anyone here regret getting windows 7?

At this stage, I am. First off, it won't work with a switch, it identifies the network as a public network and turns off file sharing. You have to use a router, so I bought a new router. The network still decides it's a public network some of the time and I have to disable and re-enable it. The router could be at fault here, but nonetheless it's a bit irritating.

Secondly, my printer was identified on the compatibility site as being compatible but requiring a download from the manufacturer, but the manufacturer says that Windows 7 will load the driver and doesn't have the driver for download. I don't have a direct internet connection so there's no way of getting a driver from Windows Update and it's not available for download from the download centre.

Thirdly, the display keeps losing its settings when used with a KVM switch (and, apparently, whenever the monitor is disconnected). This requires resetting the display properties all the time and is a major annoyance. I'm waiting to hear from Microsoft as to whether this will be fixed.

Fourthly I had an issue with the os refusing to delete some files, telling me I needed permission from the software publisher. No doubt this can be overcome, but after fiddling around changing ownership and permissions for a while, I gave up in frustration and got rid of them another way.

I like the layout, appearance, etc, but for me these issues have taken the shine off having the new OS and at this stage I wish I hadn't bothered getting it.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users