Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot to new install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fareedb

fareedb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:40 PM

installed a new hdd as slave to my old hdd, I then proceded to install win xp home from my win xp upgrade cd to my new hdd, all went well, booted up and it gave me a dual boot os option, I was able to access both installs fine,I then proceded to remove my old hdd and try to boot from my new hdd(now set to master), I get no os error, can someone help me get my new hdd bootable, if I slave it with the old hdd, it works fine on startup giving me the dual boot option and allowing me to access both drives.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:43 AM

Hi you must do a complete full install not an upgrade, as an upgrade only corrects errors and upgrades from if you had 98 or 2000 already installed and wanted to leave your documents in tack.
When you put your Set up disk in instead of clicking upgrade (recommended) you have to use the dropdown and find complete or advanced install put that on you should find it works then.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 fareedb

fareedb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the response, If i do a full install would I lose the Info that I already have on there. Why is it that I can boot to the drive when it is slaved with my old HDD and be able to access it as though it is a completely different OS I am entering into. Thanks again for all the info

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:46 PM

Most new hard drives come with software to move op systems, data and applications from the old hd to the new one. That is what you should have done.

An "upgrade" cd does not have the capability to install a new, fresh copy of the op system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users