Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop issues. BIOS infected? MBAM keeps getting aborted!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 londonliving

londonliving

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:25 AM

Dear Reader

As my old laptop Dell Inspiron 1501 - BIOS 2.6.3 was getting more frustrating, even with a larger hard drive (320Gb), it was showing it's age.

I took the decision to install Windows 7 on what had been the XP pro partition on the original 80Gb drive.

The partition was formatted via a Sharkoon USB external drive connector and Partition Magic 8.

I was fairly underwhelmed with the Win 7 (64 bit) performance, though the install was pretty quick.

I pointed the User Documents to the second partition D: using regedit.

Programs installed:
  • NOD32 from ESET
  • WinRAR
  • Lightroom 2.6
  • Microsoft Live Cam
  • Adobe Flash
  • Silverlight
  • Camtasia
Then for the problems.

During screen recording, the driver for the ATI card kept being recovered. Camtasia stopped recording.

Whilst trying to type in to fill a form, the Space Bar kept acting as Enter and Backspace was acting as Alt + Left Arrow

So, I thought, there must be something strange on here, let's check with http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php as I have the paid version.

The quick scan detected three items:
  • trojan.agent
  • trojan.backdoor
  • something I couldn't read...because the computer automatically clicked yes and removed them, then restarted itself.
It would not restart properly, and kept hanging at the Dell welcome screen with the status bar reaching 100% and nothing happening.

I managed to progress to Win 7 by removing all power and restart with F2 to get to the boot options.

Then I was unable to login - the wrong username and password were used...

...except I hadn't touched the keyboard!

Now the reason for this post being in the XP section.

As I had tried the new OS on a separate physical internal hard drive, I just thought I would swap back the original larger XP pro drive (recovery console is installed).

I get the same issue with the Dell progress bar and although there is no welcome screen for this setup, I still don't get through until using F2 for the boot options and removing all power and battery.

As this had been an issue with the Win 7 login, I thought I would try recovery console...

...but it gets halfway and then the internal Bleep of the computer gives a recurring noise - despite speakers being disabled.

When I have got through to Win XP Pro, I try to launch MBAM, which has a shortcut on a folder on the desktop.
  • A single click on the folder generates multiple openings of the folder. (Typically 7)
  • Double clicking on MBAM generates multiple warnings saying it is already running (Typically 29). The copy that is running is repeatedly aborted and out of memory errors can show up.
I have to shut down the computer by removing power and battery.

All in all, I am stuck.

Any help is appreciated.

LL

Edited by londonliving, 21 February 2010 - 02:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:56 AM

Post in the am I infected section.

#3 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:59 AM

Thanks.

I've reposted in the Am I Infected? section.

I've added a few more details as I tried to install Linux Mandriva 2010 and kept getting the same problem.

LL

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:30 AM

FWIW: Partiion Magic 8 has not been updated since 2002 or so...I would not use it with Win 7.

Some users have been known to have trouble with partitions created for XP with PM8, although I've not experienced such. But I generally have only used PM8 for changing the size of the boot partition and creating additional partitions on a drive, while using the XP CD or Disk Management to create initial boot partitions.

I see that you report problems with a linux distro, I think I'd run a hard drive diagnostic.

Louis

#5 londonliving

londonliving
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:09 AM

FWIW: Partiion Magic 8 has not been updated since 2002 or so...I would not use it with Win 7.

Some users have been known to have trouble with partitions created for XP with PM8, although I've not experienced such. But I generally have only used PM8 for changing the size of the boot partition and creating additional partitions on a drive, while using the XP CD or Disk Management to create initial boot partitions.

I see that you report problems with a linux distro, I think I'd run a hard drive diagnostic.

Louis

Thanks for the info on Partition Magic 8.

I thought it was getting long in the tooth, but as MS hadn't made major changes to the filesystem I thought I'd use it.

Drive has checked as OK.

I'll update more in the am I infected section.

Thanks

LL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users