Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connect laptop to desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 haafasst

haafasst

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:41 AM

I have a Gateway MX6446 laptop (AMD Turion 64) and I recently was given a Dell Dimension E520 desktop (Intel). The laptop has XP Media Center Edition and the Dell has XP Home, both with SP2. The laptop uses wifi for all my internet activities but with its smaller hard drive its not suitable for handling huge quantities of large files. The desktop will be used as my large project computer, scanning quantities of photos and graphics and large spreadsheet work. The desktop also has a wifi card but internet access for it is secondary, for picking up software updates etc.

Here's what I want to do: Keep using the laptop for internet access since I can take it everywhere. I want to use the desktop at home with its greater disk storage for working with and storing the big files. I want to transfer files between the two and attach my HP Photosmart C5280 printer/scanner to the desktop but print from either computer. When at home I would rather connect my two PCs with wire, since the wireless router is not in my apartment and it handles internet access for several others (multi-unit housing) so I would rather not use it to communicate between my two computers. Can I use wifi for internet access and wire for file share & printer between my two PCs? What do I need to do to make this work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

At the simplest, you can just connect an ethernet cable between the two computers, make sure they are configured for the same Windows workgroup, and go. They will pick self-assigned addresses in the 169.254.x.x network, but will find each other in the Windows explorer (if you have file and print sharing turned on in both). I believe the laptop is new enough to have Auto-MDX (auto crossover), but if you don't get a link when you plug the cable in you may need an Ethernet crossover cable. Pick one up at the local office supply or computer store. This setup will not allow you to connect to the internet from the desktop but will allow local file and print sharing.

#3 haafasst

haafasst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

Thank you - I'll give it a try!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users