Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB port conflict

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 flobiwan

flobiwan

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

I recently installed a Canon USB printer to replace another USB printer on my PC. It is plugged in to a USB port on the back of the PC. Ever since, when I try to plug something in to the USB port on the front of my PC (flash drive, ipod, external hard drive), I get the "USB device not recognized message" and it will not work. It shows up as "unknown device" in the USB section of Device Manager.

HOWEVER, If I unplug the USB cable on my printer, I have no problems. In other words, in order to update my ipod, I have to unplug the printer's USB cable, plug in the ipod, update it, unplug the ipod and then re-connect the printer. I am running Windows XP Media Center edition with Service pack 3 on a Gateway GT5014 . After researching, I have tried the following:

uninstalled everything under USB in Device manager, rebooted the PC and let it restack the drivers.
Uninstalled the 1394 connection under Network Connections.
Changed the drive letters on my secondary internal hard drive and media card slots.
Looked for hidden devices in Device Manager, found a bunch and got rid of all of them.

Except for adding a second internal SATA hard drive when I originally purchased the PC, I have not made any internal hardware changes. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

I find that onboard USB ports and NICs...may have to be functionally replaced by PCI cards.

PCI cards are cheap enough to have them as spares for troubleshooting system problems with those two functions, IMO.

Louis

#3 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:13 AM

But they were fine right before I replaced the printer. Also, they work fine when the printer is unplugged from the rear USB. IT seems therefore that there is nothing functionally wrong with the front USB port.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

OK...my counter-comment is...if you uninstalled the USB controllers...and then rebooted and reinstalled those...there's not much that you can do to make the ports work properly.

You can reason in any manner that you want...but the fact is that all ports are not functioning as they should and you've already played your ace by uninstalling the controllers for the ports.

I suppose that one could assume that it's one of the devices which is awry, rather than the ports...but it doesn't appear to me as if such is substantiated.

It's a lot cheaper to buy a USB 2.0 card...than it is to buy another printer (no matter how cheap printers are these days).

Louis

#5 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

I imagine that will probably work but won't that mean that the new ports will be on the rear of the machine? This would mean crawling around under the desk whenever i wanted to plug in a flash drive. Given the choice and the physical location of my equipment, it's actually easier to unplug the printer than to do that.

So just to confirm, there is nothing else I can try to make the existing USB ports work properly other than what I've already done.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

Are your USB ports 1.0 or 2.0?

If they are 1.0 that means the USB ports can not supply enough power to all your devices.

I am sure the new Canon printer is USB 2.0 compliant, question is, is your USB ports capible of supplying the 2.0 resources?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:01 PM

They are all 2.0.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

How many USB ports do you have?

Does the Windows notifcation area ever say anything about the ports not supplying enough power to the device?

You could buy a USB hub which allows you to connect more devices to the rear USB port.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 flobiwan

flobiwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

I have 7 USB ports. the 3 in front are only used sporadically. I get the same negative results with all of the 3 front USB ports.

I have never seen an error message like you're describing. \

Would a USB hub have a cable? In other words, would i be able to stick it to the top of my PC so that I would have easy acces to the USB ports.

Regarding power, if it makes any difference, I am plugged into a UPS.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:51 PM

I have 7 USB ports. the 3 in front are only used sporadically. I get the same negative results with all of the 3 front USB ports.

I have never seen an error message like you're describing. \

Would a USB hub have a cable? In other words, would i be able to stick it to the top of my PC so that I would have easy acces to the USB ports.

Regarding power, if it makes any difference, I am plugged into a UPS.

A USB hub is a device that plugs into a USB port on the back of your PC, it has a cable attached so the hub can be placed in a convenient location, like on top of your tower or desk.

To get an idea what Hubs are and what they roughly cost try this link at newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...6&name=Hubs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users