Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jbaa02

jbaa02

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

I recently installed windows7 ultimate,the following issues cropped up:
1. windows 7 is not able to install drivers for my card reader which was a plug and play device when I was still using xp pro.
2. I cannot connect my cellphone in spite of having installed needed driver and cable connectivity software from Nokia.
3. I have to run start-up repair or the pc runs chkdsk every time I boot up in the morning.
Can somebody help me on this?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:41 PM

I recently installed windows7 ultimate,the following issues cropped up:
1. windows 7 is not able to install drivers for my card reader which was a plug and play device when I was still using xp pro.
2. I cannot connect my cellphone in spite of having installed needed driver and cable connectivity software from Nokia.
3. I have to run start-up repair or the pc runs chkdsk every time I boot up in the morning.
Can somebody help me on this?
Thanks

You can start here at Microsoft Windows 7 compatability web site. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...us/default.aspx

Here is another Microsoft Windows 7 web site http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows...p/top-solutions

You may also have to go to the web sites of your products and look for software that is coded to work properly with Windows 7.

Also there is an option within windows 7 Ultimate that is called XP mode. It runs just like a copy of Windows XP.

You can also run any program in compatability mode by right clicking the .exe of your program and choosing PROPERTIES then click the COMPATABILITY tab and click run this program in ####### mode. Mine says Windows XP SP3 Mode, but if yours might say Vista or something else. There are also other options in that list that might help you get your programs to run correctly.

As for your having to run chkdsk every time you start the computer. You might fix this problem by going to COMPUTER right clicking your hard drive and choose PROPERTIES and choose TOOLS then error-checking. click CHECK NOW make sure "automatically fix errors" and "attempt to recover bad sectors" is checked marked. When you click OK it will say check disk can not run while disk is use would you like to schedule it to run next time you start Windows say YES. Reboot when you do not plan to use the computer for a while because this is a long process, when the computer reboots check disk will run and reboot back to Windows when its done.

Hope these suggestions helped.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 February 2010 - 11:58 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users