Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ares File Sharing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sherrymyra

sherrymyra

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

Not sure if this is where this goes. I just downloaded Ares onto my computer. I probably should have done some checking on it before I did it. But has anyone had any experience with this program? Is it a good one? Or is it not a good idea. I had BearShare once and deleted that because I had heard that it was looking for trouble and I was getting adware from it. So anyway, what are your thoughts on this program.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:55 PM

Sherrymyra,

Any P2P application puts you at some sort of risk. Just a quick read here, and here, should give you something to think about and consider. :thumbsup:

Be (P2P) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:42 PM

Along with the links that Animal provided.

Please see the following link for more information on Clean and Infected File Sharing Programs

JC

:thumbsup:
JC

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:10 PM

Even if you are lucky enough to download an p2p application that does not contain spyware or adware, ANY p2p subjects you to many liabilities:

http://www.sans.org/top20/
The SANS institute lists p2p file sharing among their top 10 vulnerabilities:

A number of vulnerabilities exist when using P2P software. They can be categorized into three types. Technical vulnerabilities are those that can be exploited remotely. Social vulnerabilities are those that are exploited by altering or masquerading binary content that others request. And legal vulnerabilities are those that can result from copyright infringement or objectionable material.

Edited by jgweed, 05 September 2005 - 09:14 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:04 AM

If you are going to use a p2p application be careful. From the top of my head I can only think of a few that don't have spyware/adware bundled with them. However that doesn't mean your entirely safe. Like everyone else has said you can get viruses, trojans, and even spyware when downloading information. Even if you trust the source and know exactly what your getting someone could have repackaged that zip file with something you don't want. Also be-careful of copyright laws, don't download music or videos at all. Remember the government is watching.

Edited by yanowhiz, 06 September 2005 - 08:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users