Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to my router

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Genix

Genix

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hey people, my sister's laptop somehow cannot connect to my wireless network (we even reformatted it). Reformatted may not be the wisest decision ever but oh well. It's a Dell with WinXP.
I'm going to be a little vague here, because I don't know what should I put down. If you need information to help me out, plz list them down.
Please and Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:33 AM

OK, we need a little more info to help.

What do you mean by "cannot connect", exactly ?

Do you get the "view available networks" dialog, and see the SSID of the desired network ?

Does the system prompt for a password when you try to connect ?

Can other computers connect to your wireless network ?

What security are you using on the wireless network ?

Are you using firewall, antivirus, or similar software on the laptop ?

Can you connect to the router from the laptop using an ethernet cable ?

#3 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

well since we reformatted there's no anti-virus on the laptop (and i know it's not a wise decision, but I have to establish an internet connection first)

When we tried to connect to my router, we click start>connect to>wireless network connection (Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter), then we click on dlink (my router name). There's a network key to this and we typed it in and the confirm network key too. after we hit connect the screen is gone and after a few seconds a pop-up bubble comes up and says: "Wireless Network Connection: One or more wireless networks are available. To see a list of available networks, click here." Well, before we click it, we tried to go into the internet and there still isn't a connection, and the laptop is not in my network map on my main desktop computer. so we repeat this process again and again till we give up and ask for help on this site.

yes other computers can use my network, only if i know them so i can allow them.
Security: Encryption: Enabled (Using WPA/WPA2) Network lock: Not Enabled

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

Can you log into your router using an ethernet wired connection at all?

You may have to to make sure your routers settings are correct.

Using /WPA2 means you have to enter your router's settings to allow "the MAC address" of the laptop, to gain access to the internet.

The routers software might have a feature called "Wireless card access list" under Advanced Wireless settings. where you have to grant access to each Wireless device trying to connect to your router.

Another feature would be Connected Devices which is a list of wired and wireless devices which already have access to the router.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 February 2010 - 05:22 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

Make sure the laptop is set to get it's address and DNS information via DHCP.

Try using the Intel Pro/Set software for your card instead of the built-in Windows wireless code. Sometimes they argue, and when you try to start it you may get complaints that it does not control the card, and ask you which (Windows or Intel) you want to control it. Choose Intel, then follow the prompts to try and establish a connection. You should either get connected or get much more and better feedback on what went wrong. Let us know what you see.

#6 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

sorry for not replying so long, I do not have enough time to check on it because I have tons of homework that I have to get done.

#7 swtexas70

swtexas70

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:36 AM

I, too, cannot connect to my network. The network is seen when "Wireless networks are available," along with three other secure networks (neighbor's). When I click on connect, it asks for the security pass code which I enter (correctly). Then, in Vista, I am told to diagnose the problem and finally told to call the system administrator.

I know that the security code I am entering is correct, and I know that the network is working because I have another computer (wireless) using the network with the same security code.

Operating system: Vista Home Basic
Router: Linksys

Thanks in advance for help

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:48 AM

swtexas70 - please start your own thread. Its less confusing. Thank you

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:45 PM

Make sure the laptop is set to get it's address and DNS information via DHCP.

Try using the Intel Pro/Set software for your card instead of the built-in Windows wireless code. Sometimes they argue, and when you try to start it you may get complaints that it does not control the card, and ask you which (Windows or Intel) you want to control it. Choose Intel, then follow the prompts to try and establish a connection. You should either get connected or get much more and better feedback on what went wrong. Let us know what you see.

ehhh...I'm not going to buy one, and I want to save money too. another reason is that I don't have the knowledge to install one (worst case scenario: I try to install one and forgot how to put it back together.)

is there another around the problem?

Edited by Genix, 25 February 2010 - 05:45 PM.

#10 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Intel Pro/Set Wireless is software that should work with (and should have come with) your adapter. You can get it (free) here: Intel PROSet/Wireless

#11 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:26 PM

sorry for not replying for so long, like i said, a busy life with tons of homework to do.

#12 Genix

Genix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

Hey thanks, I fixed it. The laptop is now on my wireless network. I just did a few updates and installments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users