Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mtv2009

mtv2009

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

Can you guys help? When i turn on the computer screen, it has the error message: "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
Also i know theres a virus involved. Can you help Please and Thank You. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

well either your hard drive has stopped working or the virus has corrupted the operating system and caused the bios to not detect the operating system and thinking there is no operating system. Tell me is it a laptop or desktop and also does it make any odd or unusual sounds? also how do you know there is a virus involved.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 mtv2009

mtv2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

I know its a virus because the computer acts weird and the computer is a desktop.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

THere was a virus not to long ago that would give users a black screen of death upon boot.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

yes i remember that virus but i don't think this is a bsod he is seeing, this is what happens when the bios cannot find any media to boot from, like i said this points to a faulty hard drive or the operating system is bad or even the boot flags have been messed with.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 mtv2009

mtv2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

its not a blue screen of death. its just black and has an error message.

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

yes i know its not a bsod its been a long day sorry but anyway it a bios error message so that means that it is a bad hard drive (which is why i want to know if the hard drive is making any noise if its not then we can explore more solutions). or a bad os also

Edited by computerxpds, 20 February 2010 - 07:25 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

its not a blue screen of death. its just black and has an error message.

Whats the error message?

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

Can you guys help? When i turn on the computer screen, it has the error message: "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

this is the error message

its not really an error message its just bios saying it can't find an operating system to start.

Edited by computerxpds, 20 February 2010 - 08:05 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

Go into the BIOS...is your hard drive reflected on the main page?

Is it reflected as the first bootable device in the boot options?

Louis

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

Can you verify that there is data on the drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users