Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Booting Compaq PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Skeeterman

Skeeterman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

My wife's Compaq Athlon 64 3200+ 512MB SATA200GB DVD+RW SR1817CL with XP Home has a problem booting/loading up. Couple times before it quit completely, the PC would boot and load up and work, but, that was it. The computer will start and fans run and that will go as long I want it to.

Here's a description of what it does.

I can turn on the PC by the front Start button. The fans (2) seems to run louder than normal. That is as far as it will go. The message on the monitor shows... Video Input..."No Signal"
The power supply fan works. There is a tiny green light right next to the plug in for the power cord. There is the green light behind the front start button. NOTE: I cannot turn off the computer by pushing the front start button. I have to unplug the power cord to stop the machine.

Power Supply going south, or Motherboard went deep six?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

Well...it's a Compaq, which probably means that it probably has the most minimal PSU that would work.

And it's old, if it was original equipment.

I put my money on the PSU as having outlived its usefulness.

A simple test, takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish...remove the current PSU, replace it temporarily with a known good PSU.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users