Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeping Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 learningpcs

learningpcs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:13 PM

My computer is literally beeping when I turn it on. It doesn't respond to anything!!
This is a Windows 98 operating system. I have no clue what to do!!! Please help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:59 PM

Is it a pattern of beeps - 2 long beeps, 2 shorts beeps...etc
Or, is it a continuous beeping that you are hearing?

If it is continuous, you may have a key stuck on your keyboard.
At work, I had a user call me with the same problem. Turns out she had a folder on a portion of the keyboard and it was holding in one of her keys.

Take a look at your keyboard to make sure that nothing is holding in one of the keys.
If it is not that, count the number of short and long beeps. With that, we can figure out what might be causing your problem.

JC
JC

#3 learningpcs

learningpcs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:06 AM

Thank you for the response. It is one high then one low beep. I checked the keyboard and it is ok.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:48 AM

What is the make and model of your computer? Do you have anything showing on your monitor when you start up the computer? Each BIOS type has a different meaning for its' series of beeps. If you could tell me the BIOS type that would be very helpful. Normally, the name displays as the computer is starting.(if yours is at least doing this) The make and model may also provide that information -if it is a brand name computer.

Sorry, I should have asked you this in my first post, but I was making an assumption that it was a keyboard issue.

Anyways, after the BIOS type is determined, the following site is helpful in telling you what the beep sequence means.

http://www.bioscentral.com/

Let us know. :thumbsup:

JC
JC

#5 learningpcs

learningpcs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:12 PM

Hello again. My computers bios is by Award. I am not completely sure that the hard drive is the origional that came with this system....front of tower says it is an Ateva... i can't find much info on line about this brand. A few more details... the computer won't shut off unless i unplug it. When I turn it off it automatically turns back on. The monior is black, and the floppy drive doesn't respond to a boot disk.
I have a PC Medic CD that i inserted, I can hear it trying to run, but quits with no progress. I think that i have the bios number and manufacture date at home, (At work now) if so will forward that as well. Thank you so much.

#6 learningpcs

learningpcs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:13 PM

...Forgot to mention, nothing appears on the screen AT ALL.!!

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:49 PM

From - http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm#05

AWARD BIOS BEEP CODES

The following are Award BIOS Beep Codes that can occur. However because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS the beep codes may vary.

1 long, 2 short  Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information

Any other beep(s)  RAM problem.

If any other correctable hardware issues the BIOS will display a message.

And this from http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

1long, 2 short  Video adapter error  Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly.  Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

Repeating (endless loop)  Memory error  Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

1long, 3short  No video card or bad video RAM  Reseat or replace the video card.

High frequency beeeps while running  Overheated CPU  Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.

Repeating High/Low  CPU  Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

What fits your problem? Check the sequence again... Have you ever worked with computer hardware components before. ..changed a video card etc....
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users