Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft only securing IE for XP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:30 AM

Microsoft has decided that they will no longer produce security updates for versions of their Windows operating system that are older than Windows XP.This means that if you one of the many people who still use one of these versions of Windows, including Windows 2000, do not expect any new security updates to be released to secure your IE.
Unfortunately if you are a user of one of these older operating systems, the only way to make sure that you have secure Internet Explorer is to fork over the $99 US for the upgrade to XP Home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:46 AM

Bill's mamma didn't raise no fool.

It is my understanding, that critical patches to IE will continue, but if you want the enhancements (a little late in the game) to IE, or the safer way it handles ActiveX, the half of Windows users who do not have XP will be forced to upgrade.
Ca Chink, Ca Chink, Ca Chink.

Or, if you don't want XP and don't want to pay Gates anymore money, just use Mozilla, Firefox, or Opera.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:59 AM

Good ideah use firefox.....

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:59 PM

:trumpet:
:thumbsup: I second that emotion John! :flowers:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 02:06 PM

Many people (esp in forums) have long believed we should all dump IE for Mozilla/Firefox/Opera, etc...
For those of us who can't use those other browsers based on what we do online, our options are limited. I think it stinks that those browsers are unfunctionable in certain instances like online game sites, etc...
I refuse to go to XP - no disrespect intended to those who have it and love it. I, for one, have and love ME, although I'd take Win98 anyday.
I'm not sure where this leaves me. I guess I am barking up an empty tree, lol.
If you have those other browsers, why do you think they don't function at the popular game sites? If any one of them would work, I'd gladly switch. But I'm sticking with ME.

~67~

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 02:09 PM

Trying to figure out what is and is not supported, and to what extent, is certainly difficult if you go to the appropriate MS sites, so I may be wrong about my earlier assertion.

From an article on CNet by Paul Festa:

Microsoft this week reiterated that it would keep the new version of Microsoft's IE Web browser available only as part of the recently released Windows XP operating system, Service Pack 2. The upgrade to XP from any previous Windows versions is $99 when ordered from Microsoft. Starting from scratch, the operating system costs $199.

It's a problem that people should have to pay for a whole OS upgrade to get a safe browser," said Michael Cherry, analyst with Directions on Microsoft in Redmond, Wash. "It does look like a certain amount of this is to encourage upgrade to XP."
Microsoft affirmed that its recent security improvements to IE would be made available only to XP users.
"We do not have plans to deliver Windows XP SP2 enhancements for Windows 2000 or other older versions of Windows," the company said in a statement.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+secure+IE..._3-5378366.html

(accessed 9-23-04)

If this is so, I bet the first critical security patch not available for the 50 percent of MS users will bring the wrath of heaven down on the "trustworthy computing" folks at MS.

Cheers,
John

#7 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 02:16 PM

I think I am understanding this so far. If I haven't grasped it correctly, I apologize. IF, in fact, MS stands by the following statement - "We do not have plans to deliver Windows XP SP2 enhancements for Windows 2000 or other older versions of Windows," the company said in a statement. - what does this say for them, really? They've made enough money 10-fold if ya ask me!

If this ONLY applies to those who get the Windows XP SP2 enhancements yet are NOT running XP, I guess I'm not worried about it then. Why would I put XP SP2 enhancements on an OS other than XP in the first place? Have I understood this correctly? I feel like a fish out of water here. Can someone please explain this in BlondeEnglish for me to fully comprehend what's going on?

Forever grateful,
~67~

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:45 PM

As I understand it, MS will only support IE if it is on an XP version. Consequently, if you have IE and are using any other version of Windows, you will (at the very least) NOT get the enhancements to IE (popup blocker, etc.) and you may NOT get any security updates or critical patches (here I am not precisely sure whether MS will issue monthly security patches for IE on other than XP. I think the bad press would be too strong to allow that for very long). I think this whole thing will become clearer as more stories appear in the press.....

I think most people will therefore migrate to an alternate browser, such as Mozilla, and only use IE where abosutely necessary. I predict, as more people change default browsers, web sites that are NOT web-standard compliant may have to rethink their position and do some recoding.

Cheers,
John

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:37 PM

I am not alone in being confused about what MS is and is not going to do for non-XP users of IE:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/24/no...or_old_windows/

John Lettice notes that the confusion will need to be addressed: "... because the information the company has given out so far is sufficiently unclear for us to confidently predict the arrival of a clarification."

He adds:

Security-wise it still has to be working on plans for these(non-XP users of IE), because it remains committed to providing security support for them( the Windows OS). So it really does have to come up with the plans, specifying where security support ends and enhancements provision begins.

Cheers,
John

#10 thatman

thatman

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:04 PM

Hi all

Microsoft very foolish action to take that can only lead to more computer
infections

Sad day for all

all the best
thatman

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2004 - 06:50 AM

My O.S. is also ME. I for one can not wait for all of this to be made more clear. It does seem like MS is forcing XP on everyone w/o it. And hasn't XP SP2 caused a lot of problems? Please whenever any of you come across any updated info. concerning this topic. Let us all know.
Posted Image

#12 billm65

billm65

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:36 AM

Looks like Google is getting into the browser game at the perfect time.

#13 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:33 PM

I can understand, Bill, while two million plus people downloaded Firefox in a ten day period. Microsoft is simply going to alienate a lot of users by their double-speak of wanting trustworthy computing---only if you pay for it.
Cheers,
John

There is still no definitive clarification by MS about exactly WHAT they are supporting and not supporting for non-XP users of IE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users