Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have an Nvidia GeForce 8M series GPU. What can I do about it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alef1

Alef1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

I have a late 2008 Latitude D830 series laptop with one of the faulty Nvidia GPUs. I finally figured out that it was the reason why my computer has been refusing to start up lately. I've uninstalled the drivers for it so I'm back up and running, but of course I have no 3d graphics capability to speak of. Is there anything I can do about this besides getting a new graphics card?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

Sounds more like a driver concern instead of a hardware problem. When the video chipset dies it causes either no screen output/distorted images regardless of 2D or 3D mode independant of what drivers are used. Make sure to get latest drivers from NVidia, install and see if that changes anything.

That chipset (based on rhe 8XX mobile I think) should be covered under extended warranty. Like anything with extended/optional warranties, contact Dell in a professional manner, verify whether it is covered and be prepared for a "no". I have had better luck with HP in regards to this problem.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Alef1

Alef1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

I've tried updating the drivers. Having any drivers at all kills my laptop, and Dell hasn't really been much help. I'm thinking of trying to talk to Nvidia instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users