Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rogue AV "Virus Protector" launches in Safemode!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RettCross

RettCross

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

I'm running Windows XP Pro - Service Pack 3, IE 7. My wife searched Google for MarieClaire.com and clicked on the top result. Immediatley Virus Protector began running and scanning. She did not stop it quickly enough. It hijacked the entire OS. Task Manager will come up, but End Task and End Process are greyed out. I rebooted to Safe Mode with Networking and the Virus Protector app hijacks safe mode the same way. I can't get to the desktop to run anything. Any ideas on what i can do to remove this version of Virus Protector :thumbsup: ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

Remove Virus Protector (Uninstall Guide)
Posted by Grinler on February 19, 2010

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...virus-protector
If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

#3 alytags

alytags

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:02 PM

Rett, I am having the same issue. The only version of Safe Mode I can get launched without Virus Protector starting is Command Prompt.

Sasha, as soon as you restart your computer (even in Safe Mode) Virus Protector launches and you can't access the Task Manager, Start Menu, etc.

#4 PattyD4

PattyD4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

Alytags, I am having the exact same problem as you and I cannot figure out anything to fix it. I wish I had never shut down the PC when I first got it because then I would still have some basic functionality and the Internet to download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Now the only thing that functions is Safe Mode with Command Prompt, but no clue which commands to use? I spoke with Dell and they told me to re-install my operating system :thumbsup: I am not ready for that resort yet. Any help? Thanks, Patty

#5 Baym

Baym

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

If you can reboot in safe mode with command prompt, then you can get to your desktop by typing explorer.exe in the command window.

If you have another PC with internet access, you can download malwarebytes install files there and then copy them over via a USB stick, CD, etc.

EDIT: You likely lost access to task manager, which you can get back by searching the forums for TDSSkiller.zip (I think that is the spelling).

Edited by Baym, 08 March 2010 - 12:56 PM.

#6 PattyD4

PattyD4

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

Hallelujah!!! :thumbsup: I was able to restore my system to yesterdays restore point. And to think I almost lost everything because of Dell's crappy instructions to reinstall.

I hope this works for others, here is the information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

How to start System Restore by using the Command prompt

If a new program has made your computer behave unpredictably, and uninstalling the new program did not help, you can try the Windows XP System Restore tool.

Important If you have not previously set a restore point in System Restore, you cannot restore your computer to a previous state. If you are not sure, or if you have not previously set a restore point, contact Support.

To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
(It took a while before the program popped up.)
6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.
(The restore took a few minutes)

#7 Baym

Baym

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

Grats. Now go download malwarebytes, update and scan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users