Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate Expansions Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trichi

trichi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hello,

I'm planning on getting an external hard drive for more room and to free up my C: for improving performance.

I've looked about and found external hard drives by Seagate, which seems quite cheap but reasonable.
Anyone know if they are any good?

Seagate Expansions 1TB External Desktop USB 2.0 Hard Drive for PC
59.99 on Amazon.co.uk

Thank you! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:28 PM

They, or at least the one i bought comes with in-built backup software which allows you to backup either the whole drive or specific folders with or without sub folders. It can then monitor these and update at regular intervals which you select. Moreover, you can have it "sync" certain folders. What it does is that it makes a copy of the folder, and if you plug it into another comp which you have installed and activated the same service it will copy the files onto the same place, unless the other comp has a newer version in which case it will update the version it has. This allows you to easily switch between for instance the job computer and home computer and have the most recent documents available. Also, encryption. Might have forgotten something.

A drawback is that you can open the case and connect it to a SATA port as a slave (the sata is faster than usb i have heard, might be wrong) so if you, like me, intends to move images, documents and games to the external in order to speed up startup (clearing the HDD from files reduces reading time) it might be better with one that can be opened. Also, if you dont understand half of the above, its tha thaing fer u!

Edit: Just read thoroughly through your post. If you are planning to connect to a sata, better of with one that you can do this on easily, otherwise go. I have no clue when it comes to reliability, i can only speak from maybe 3 months of experience.

Edited by Surma, 20 February 2010 - 05:31 PM.

---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

Well...every user who decides to use an external hard drive...doubles the theoretical chances of a problem...by now dealing with possible problems with the enclosure which contains the hard drive...and possible problems with the drive itself.

Or USB ports.

I prefer internal drives, much easier to get to the root of a problematical situation.

Hard drive reliability cannot be predicted. Today we have fewer manufacturers than ever and, IMO, they all produce quality drives. But that doesn't mean they produce perfect drives, since quality control failures happen routinely with everything.

Including us humans :thumbsup:.

You can never get away from such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users