Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which is official site for Spybot S&D

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 fred1

fred1

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

Hi, When I click on update in my Spybot S&D it leades me to a site of Checkpoint Technologies and I do not see anything about Safer- Networking.org. Are they related or do I have a bogus download of Spybot S&D? Also.... If you omit the dash between safer and networking when typing the URL will it lead you to the proper site? thanks,Fred

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

I suggest, you uninstall Spybot, which became rather obsolete tool.
Your best choices at the moment:
- SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition: http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (trial version is fully functionable): http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 fred1

fred1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

Thank You , Broni for the quick reply. :thumbsup: I would still like to find out the answers to the above questions though. Thanks so much. Fred

#4 fred1

fred1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

Hi Broni, I found the answers. It was a misleading topic and question . It was my Zone Alarm trying to update and leading me to the Checkpoint page, which has nothing to do with Spybot S&D. Sorry to all for the confusion. I couldn"t see the forest for the trees. I also looked at a few reviews on Superantispyware and it looked real good. Aommaster also recomended Spywareblaster which looks good also. I just hit a wrong button a few minutes ago and lost a long list of one finger typed queries about recomends for compatability with my existing programs.I'll send more on that later if I may. thanks,fred

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

Good going :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 fred1

fred1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:05 PM

Hi Broni, I made it back. After battleing Antivirus Soft with the wonderful help of this site, I am gearing up to get better protected on our 2 desktops and 1 laptop. All have xp home. My desktop has service pack 3, the others only service pack 2 and not well updated. I am thinking about ordering the sp3 disk as we have lowest speed dsl . Can you use such disc on multiple machines? The 2 desktops are running Firefox 3.5.8 and I am thinking about the newer version that i saw recently. How is it? The laptop is running IE 6 not well updated. Thinking of installing Firefox here too. My wife did not have AVG 8.5 updated (and possibly not on) at time of virus attack. Also no Zone alarm firewall, possibly windows firewall on and not updated, but I am not sure about the on part. We have used AVG free for several years,all are now upgraded to ver9.0. We (I use lightly) have used Zone Alarm free for years,as well as Adaware free and Spybot S&D free. I started using CCleaner free a few months ago and Malwarebytes about a week now. We use earthlink webmail which has some protection but I don't know the particulars. I (and try to get my wife to) leave AVG and ZA running all of the time except when scanning with the other programs. I only use the scanning features of the other programs (I think) except I think I keep tea timer going from Spybot. We read and write email, research common interests on the web, I buy and sell a little on ebay, and my wife likes facebook and it's games. (This sounds like statements from "The Dating Game" TV show : I like reading, writing, arithmatic and long walks in the woods with my rattlesnake and Tasmanian Devil. I also like boiled egg particles in my gibblet gravy at Thanksgiving.) :thumbsup: I think that this recent Antivirus Soft virus is only the 2nd virus we have had, or that surfaced, in our computing history. We do get bogged down with system junk though. I have Superantispyware free and Spywareblaster free in mind, to add to these systems if compatable with each other, and the other programs mentioned. I can also deleate other undesireable programs if needed. What are your recomends on a good combo that is compatable with one another?Do I need to take advantage of other program features other than scanning. are the other features needed and will they slow down system? Thank you for your time and recomends,fred :flowers:

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:14 AM

Can you use such disc on multiple machines?

You sure can, as long as each machine has its own product key.

The 2 desktops are running Firefox 3.5.8 and I am thinking about the newer version that i saw recently. How is it?

I'm with FF 3.6. Works perfectly fine.

The laptop is running IE 6 not well updated.

IE6 is really obsolete browser and dangerous, security-wise. If you get IE7, it'll be much better.
Then, no matter, if you use IE, or not, it's still on your computer, so it should be kept up to date.

Also no Zone alarm firewall, possibly windows firewall on and not updated

Windows firewall is perfectly fine and it doesn't actually get any updates.

as well as Adaware free and Spybot S&D free. I started using CCleaner free a few months ago and Malwarebytes about a week now

As you probably realize by now, Spybot and Ad-aware are tools of the past and you can let them go. Malwarebytes is the best tool , you can get. CCleaner is also very good tool, as long, as you don't touch registry part. Superantispyware would be a nice addition too.

(and try to get my wife to) leave AVG and ZA running all of the time except when scanning with the other programs.

They must be up all the time, no matter what other scans you run (there are some exceptions, like Combofix, but you don't want to use that tool by yourself).

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 fred1

fred1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:33 AM

Thanks Broni for the recomends. I am heading for IE 7 now. By for now,fred :thumbsup:

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:37 AM

Sure thing :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 fred1

fred1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:25 AM

I have downloaded the Internet explorer 7 self extracting cabinet. Do I need to remove IE6 before installing IE7? What do I need to disable or prepare before extracting IE7 or is it supposed to be a trouble free install? Thanks, fred :thumbsup:

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:52 AM

Do I need to remove IE6 before installing IE7?

No. You actually even can't. IE is part of Windows.
Nothing to disable. Just make sure, IE6 is closed.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 fred1

fred1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

thanks , I'll probably try to install IE 7 on the laptop today. I have been downloading 72 windows updates on my desktop that has service pack 3. I guess my machine wasn't updated either. :thumbsup: Is it best to stay with IE 7 or should I take the IE 8 download for this desktop that has service pack 3? I just upgraded firefox to 3.6 on this machine. I'll let you know how the IE 7 on the laptop goes. regards, fred

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

I suggest, you stay with IE7 for now. Do all other updates and see how it goes.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hi, I don't wanna butt in here, but I am just wondering if you have Automatic Windows Updates enabled? If you were missing 72 updates then I think you probably have it disabled?

#15 fred1

fred1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hi Broni, hi xblindx , I got IE7 as well as well as Firefox 3.6 on laptop. Also now have 3.6 on wifes desktop, so all 3 have 3.6 now. I also took all of the windows updates on the PC with SP3 except IE8. You are right, xblindx, I did have auto updates off, but on purpose. This was due to former advise of a friend from years ago when everyone said XP was getting it's bugs cleared up. We traded some of my labor for an XP cd a SP2 cd and computer help. He told me not to take the security updates and that the security programs he supplied me with would handle everything. I think I found the real reason about a year ago when I tried to take updates on that system and it choked on the product ID. Although both cd's worked fine until trying to update, I would be scared to use even the SP2 cd if I were to have a crash. So I have been bumbleing along with the same old habits, not having time (when life gets busy the "if it ain't broke don't fix it method happens") to learn the complexities of a better way......until the Antivirus Soft virus hit my wife's computer. Now I am stealing time away from other projects to do preventative maintenance. Thanks to you volunteers here, you guys decrease the learning curve. :thumbsup: Is SP3 about 1.5 gb? If so, and with my download speed about 25-30 kbps, I think it would take me about 25 hours to download. Lord help if there was a glitch. I went to Microsoft site to see about ordering disc and link was inactive. Where is a reputable place to obtain a SP3 disc and price? I need to load it on 2 of my machines. How do I tell if I have cd emulation enabled from using defogger on former problem? Problem was resolved and closed out. I can"t remember if I did or not. Thanks, fred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users