Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebyte's redirection to MajorGeeks, Adobe to FBI

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

When I tried to download Malwarebyte's Antimalware software (free) from their homepage, it kept redirecting me to MajorGeeks. The MG page had a variety of "download now" invitations, but none of them were for Malwarebytes' software. I ended up downloading from, I think it was FileHippo, because I have it on my favorites and thought there would be less chance of being redirected. I ran it, it found issues, now I'm nervous about using the results because the logo does not look like anthing on Malwarebytes' home page, which is very simple and has no logo. I would appreciate a suggestion, as I am now afraid to use my computer.
This being redirected is making me very nervous. Yesterday, an Adobe link took me to the FBI home page. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

MajorGeeks is a Mirror Site for downloading many programs
So is Bleeping Computer
Our link:
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwa.../mbam-setup.exe

I will admit it is sometimes confusing to determine what is the real link and what is a Google Ad
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

FileHippo would house a specific (and very probably out-of-date) version of MBAM.

It would be prudent to remove that copy of MBAM from your PC and then download the latest version from one of the links that Garmanma has given you. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:44 PM

The redirect link from Malwarebytes' page changes from time to time. In the past it went to download.cnet.com.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. Appreciate now knowing what a mirror site is.
mOle: I took your prudent suggestion re MBAM, uninstalled FHippo's, installed from garmanma's link to BC site, although FHippo was the same 1.44 1/10/2010 version. I'm guessing you know something I don't, and at this point I'm very dependent on the suggestions found here.

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:28 AM

FileHippo would house a specific (and very probably out-of-date) version of MBAM.

It would be prudent to remove that copy of MBAM from your PC and then download the latest version from one of the links that Garmanma has given you. :thumbsup:

Not sure what your beef with Filehippo is but it is my first choice for downloads and the free update checker tool is a great little thing for keeping your PC programs up to date. The program downloads at FH are always up to date and why wouldn't they not be otherwise it would be pointless having an update checker. I will also say this, the last two Java updates have been on Filehippo before they were available at Java. I know this as I always download Java from the Sun home site. After scanning with FH Update checker it notified me a new Java version was available. On going to the Sun site to download it I was informed I had the latest version, strange I thought but when I checked again the next day it was available. Filehippo is in my opinion, the best and guaranteed free from additions site on the web. I use No-Scripts and Downloads.com and CNET will give you a few extra tracking cookies if you are not carefull. Personally I find that more disconcerting.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#7 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

Thanks all for these opinions. I'm reassured to know getting CCleaner from FH is OK. Although I don't download much, I like that it is a visually clean site, without arrows flashing at me and minus the "noise" and, what to me, seem like self-serving comments on ComputerGeeks. If CNET attaches tracking cookies, are they removed with the IE- Internet Options - Delete (cookies, history, etc)? Or with CCleaner?

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:04 AM

Cookies can be removed both ways you mentioned.

FileHippo is a very good software distribution site. If you download MBAM from any site, it will update itself so being MBAM at FileHippo being out-of-date is incorrect.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

Cookies are text string messages given to a Web browser by a Web server. Whenever you visit a web page or navigate different pages with your browser, the web site generates a unique ID number which your browser stores in a text (cookie) file that is sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from that server. Cookies allow third-party providers such as ad serving networks, spyware or adware providers to track personal information. The main purpose of cookies is to identify users and prepare customized Web pages for them but not all websites use them.
  • Persistent cookies have expiration dates set by the Web server when it passes the cookie and are stored on a user's hard drive until they expire or are deleted. These types of cookies are used to store information between visits to a site and collect identifying information about the user such as surfing behavior or preferences for a specific web site.
  • Session (transient) cookies are not saved to the hard drive, do not collect any information and have no set expiration date. They are used to temporarily hold information in the form of a session identification stored in memory as you browse web pages. These types of cookies are cached only while a user is visiting the Web server issuing the session cookie and are deleted from the cache when the user closes the session.
The type of persistent cookie that is a cause for some concern are "tracking cookies" because they can be considered a privacy risk. These types of cookies are used to track your Web browsing habits (your movement from site to site). Ad companies use them to record your activity on all sites where they have placed ads. They can keep count of how many times you visited a web page, store your username and password so you don't have to log in and retain your custom settings. When you visit one of these sites, a cookie is placed on your computer. Each time you visit another site that hosts one of their ads, that same cookie is read, and soon they have assembled a list of which of their sites you have visited and which of their ads that you have clicked on. Cookies are used all over the Internet and advertisement companies often plant them whenever your browser loads one of their banners.

Cookies are NOT a "threat". As text files they cannot be executed to cause any damage. Cookies do not cause any pop ups or install malware and they cannot erase or read information from a computer.

Cookies cannot be used to run code (run programs) or to deliver viruses to your computer.

MS Article ID: 60971 - Description of Cookies

To learn more about Cookies, please refer to:As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. However, you can minimize the number of them which are stored on your computer by referring to:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

Wow. Appreciate the cookie info.
HELP
I did download Avira AntiVir. You were right, I was directed from their site to CNET and given a choice of MajorGeeks. Downloaded from FH. Ran the scan. It found 20 warnings and 1 virus.
Here is my problem.
The Guard Service is stopped and I cannot figure out a way to start it. I've looked at all the options I could find. So, I am still running with no virus protection.
Can you tell me what to do?
(I am going to cc this help request to the topic where it was suggested that I install Avira and wait for the quickest answer. I apologize in advance if this creates confusion - I know it is not the way you run this site, but I am too scared to do anything on the computer, especially pay bills etc.)

#11 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

Edit: Actually, it would be helpful if you saved the log of AntiVir's initial scan as that will probably be lost when you reinstall. So please do the following first:

1. Open AntiVir and click Reports in the left column.
2. Find the entry for the report that found infections on your computer and double-click it.
3. Click the Report File button; the log will open in Notepad.
4. File/Save As, give it a name you can remember and save it to your desktop. Post the contents of this file in your next reply.

-------------------------------------
Yes, you really should stick to one thread--don't get in a hurry--the tax deadline is still a ways away. Also, if you have been running without an Antivirus for a while, I would not use that computer to file regardless of any cleanup done here. It kind of depends on what you were infected with, but I only have a few minutes so we will get into that later.

I've had the problem with Guard before and it was solved by a reinstall. Try the standard reinstall first.

1. Go to Control Panel Add/Remove programs and uninstall AntiVir.
2. Reboot your system.
3. Go to the following page and download, then run the registry cleaner--this is not a general reg cleaner, but will clean up Antivir's reg entries. Don't try the manual uninstall just yet, just download the Reg cleanup tool and follow the intructions in Step 5 on how to use it.
4. Reboot
5. Install AntiVir again.

If this doesn't work, try the following--this is what I had to do to get the Guard working again, even after trying the above steps, probably because of AntiVir's self-protection mechanisms.

1. Find the setup file that you downloaded earlier--it should be named avira_antivir_personal_en.exe If you can't find it or it was deleted, download it again.
2. If you still have parts of AntiVir installed, at some point you should get a screen with these three options:
Modify
Repair/Update
Remove

You can try Repair/Update if you want but I have no experience with that. I chose Remove and AntiVir was successfully uninstalled.
3. Reboot.
4. Run avira_antivir_personal_en.exe again and install AntiVir.
5. Reboot

Is Guard working now?

Edited by Papakid, 22 February 2010 - 02:21 PM.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#12 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

OK, unistalled
re #3) Go to the following page.... ????? Not sure what page you mean. Thanks.

#13 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

Please see edit to above post.

The thing about people

is they change

#14 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:24 PM

OK, unistalled
re #3) Go to the following page.... ????? Not sure what page you mean. Thanks.

Eck, here's the link:
http://www.avira.com/en/support/kbdetails.php?id=135

Guess we'll have to miss the Report, oh well.

The thing about people

is they change

#15 SeekingSolutions

SeekingSolutions
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

You guys taught me well... I have the report on my desktop, but there's no upload option on this reply textbox?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users