Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't post past manufacturer splash screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scuba69diver2

scuba69diver2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hi. I'm new to posting on this site but have spent much time viewing the information available and find this site to be a valuable wealth of information. Thanks to all who contribute and I hope to do the same soon. Now for my problem.....

My computer won't boot past the manufacturer splash screen. I have tried everything from replacing the RAM to trying different CPU's. I have unplugged all peripherals, including the hard-drive, and I still can't get it to post past the splash screen. All the fans start up and if I unplug the video card I get the eight-beep code for video card error, so I know the bios is at least trying to post. I tested the PSU and it is putting out proper voltage all around. I am afraid the MOBO might have went bad, but I can't find anything to indicate that is the problem. I have been working on this for weeks and am at my wits end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Info: 1998 model year (I know it's old but I'm fixing it for my wife's grandparents) IBM Athlon 2174, I have tried both a 550mhz and a 900 mhz process, variety of RAM sticks ranging from 256-768 mhz, ASUS S30 motherboard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

Do you have any USB or llash drives attached to the system?

If so, detach them or power them off or remove the flash drive/card.

Louis

#3 scuba69diver2

scuba69diver2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have nothing attached to the computer except for the essentials to boot it. They are as follows: MOBO, PSU, RAM, CPU, FAN, monitor.....nothing else is attached, not even the mouse or keyboard. I also remove the battery and left it out overnight to clear the CMOS but that didn't help either.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:05 PM

Just opinion...rather than patch a system made in 1998, I would take a look at some of the cheaper systems available these days.

Just about anything could be going wrong on that system...although I would start with a test of the hard drive.

You won't have much luck finding replacement parts of any sort...12 years is an eternity when it comes technological development in ComputerLand.

Louis

#5 scuba69diver2

scuba69diver2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

Of course I agree with you on that one. The problem really is that it's not my computer, I'm just trying to fix it for my wife's grandparents. As for it maybe being the hard drive, I don't even have the hard drive attached to the MOBO so that can't be part of the problem. The system should post without a hard drive and give me a "operating system not found" message but it just doesn't go past the manufacturer splash screen. I appreciate your replies and will continue to try and get it working. Of course eventually I will just say the heck with it and go buy them a used computer made sometime in this decade, LOL. Anyway, I enjoy working on computers so it's fun for me to try to get it going. I'm still learning and appreciate any other info you can give that may help.

#6 scuba69diver2

scuba69diver2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

Finally gave up...the funeral will be on Saturday, LOL.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

Chances are you have an electorlytic capacitor that went bad on the motherboard, those do develope leaks after a few years of use, which is normal.

Not really worth the time doing it to such an old board, but if your feeling adventureous, you could recap the motherboard.

Suspect any caps showing signs of bulging or black colored goo on their tops.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 scuba69diver2

scuba69diver2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:07 AM

Yeah, that was kind of what I thought as well. I've given up on trying to fix the dinosaur and will let my wife's grandparents decide if they want to buy something to replace this one. Thanks for the reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users