Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making the jump from W7 from XP?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rhettoh

Rhettoh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

Currently, I have an XPS 200 desktop running Windows XP. I was wondering if it would be wise to upgrade to Windows 7. Right now, the desktop runs pretty fast. Would W7 slow the computer down considerably? I can't post the computer's specs at the moment, but if that would help you form a better opinion of "to upgrade or not to upgrade", then I can post them later today.

Thanks for the help! - Rhett

EDIT: I ran the W7 compatability test and it gave me the OK. I was just wondering if 4GB of RAM (which is what I think I have) and the stock processor are enough to handle W7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Yes, if you ran the compatibility test, and you have 4GB of RAM with a decent processor, then you should be fine. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

Currently, I have an XPS 200 desktop running Windows XP. I was wondering if it would be wise to upgrade to Windows 7. Right now, the desktop runs pretty fast. Would W7 slow the computer down considerably? I can't post the computer's specs at the moment, but if that would help you form a better opinion of "to upgrade or not to upgrade", then I can post them later today.

Thanks for the help! - Rhett

EDIT: I ran the W7 compatability test and it gave me the OK. I was just wondering if 4GB of RAM (which is what I think I have) and the stock processor are enough to handle W7.

I personally think you're good to go with the upgrade!

Windows 7 seems to be very stable on my computer which has an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Processor running at 2000 Mhz and only 2 Gb of RAM, my video is only 256 Mb and I am not having any issues with my computer being slow.

Your system is probably much faster than mine.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 February 2010 - 01:17 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

(I ran the W7 compatibility test and it gave me the OKI ran the W7 compatibility test and it gave me the OK.) The test said ok and with 4 gigs of ram IMHO go for the Windows 7, you will like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users