Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which free antivirus/firewall/antispyware scanner is best?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NYCBLONDE1986

NYCBLONDE1986

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

My computer recently received the gift of this virus:

AntiVirus Soft: http://www.precisesecurity.com/rogue/antivirus-soft/

Luckily my twin sister's boyfriend has a degree in Computer security so he ran ComboFix and gave me a few things to download.

Prior to the attack I had Spyware Doctor, Malware Bytes, and AVG 9.0 installed and I ran them every few days.

AntiVirus Soft made me unable to open any of these and tried to prompt me to buy a new antivirus. Needless to say, I didn't.

So after my computer was somewhat fixed, I installed COMODO Internet Security as well as Microsoft Security Essentials. They are both running at startup and it takes forever for Firefox to open (1-3+ minutes) and everything lags more than before the virus.

After the huge fiasco was over I scanned my computer with Microsoft Security Essentials and it came up with this:

Exploit:Java/CVE-2008-5353.C
Trojan:Java/Selace.M

It removed these items.

I then scanned with Malware Bytes and it came up clean.

Still, my computer lags way more and I can't re-install Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9 (which wouldn't open so I removed it) because of a 1311 Data1.cab error. It also won't let me open Frostwire and prompts something about quarantines or firewalls when I try to.

I now have both COMODO and Microsoft Security Essentials running at start up. My friend says it is bad to have more than one running at once- so which do I choose? I am completely stupid when it comes to this. Haha.

One website says:

"1. Make sure you have an Antivirus, Firewall and Antispyware scanner installed."

Does this mean just installed? Or all running at once? How often do I scan? Is there any product that has all three of these?

I would love some recommendations on this as I am completely clueless and confused. I do not want my computer to be attacked that severely again.

Thank you!

-Confused Blonde. Blush

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition or avast! for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

#3 NYCBLONDE1986

NYCBLONDE1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition or avast! for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

Well I have COMODO, AVG 9.0, Spyware Doctor, Malware Bytes and Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer. COMODO and Microsoft Security Essentials run at startup. Is COMODO all inclusive in terms of Anti-Virus, Spyware, and Firewall? Should I turn off COMODO or Microsoft Security Essentials-since im not supposed to run two at once? Should I uninstall some?

Sorry, I'm a noob. Haha

Edited by NYCBLONDE1986, 20 February 2010 - 12:54 PM.

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

You seem to have three antivirus programs installed, so you should uninstall two of them.

Comodo does cover everything but others would say that it's antivirus is still unproven.

The choice must be yours, as you will find many differing opinions here.
James

#5 NYCBLONDE1986

NYCBLONDE1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

You seem to have three antivirus programs installed, so you should uninstall two of them.

Comodo does cover everything but others would say that it's antivirus is still unproven.

The choice must be yours, as you will find many differing opinions here.

Hmm, I'm sort of clueless about all this so I don't know which three things (out of AVG 9.0, COMODO, Microsoft Security Essentials, MalwareBytes, and Spyware Doctor) I have installed that are antivirus programs? As opposed to other things(Firewall/Spyware/Etc)?

What do you mean about the Anti Virus being unproven with COMODO?

I should completely uninstall all but one anitvirus?

Edited by NYCBLONDE1986, 20 February 2010 - 01:25 PM.

#6 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

AVG 9, Comodo Internet Security, Microsoft Security Essentials are all antivirus programs and your Spyware Doctor may have one as well, so you could even have 4.

The Comodo antivirus has not been submitted to some test sites which many people believe in, so comparisons are difficult.

You should definitely uninstall all but one antivirus and personally I would keep Comodo, but as one of their testers I admit to a risk of bias here.
James

#7 NYCBLONDE1986

NYCBLONDE1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

AVG 9, Comodo Internet Security, Microsoft Security Essentials are all antivirus programs and your Spyware Doctor may have one as well, so you could even have 4.

The Comodo antivirus has not been submitted to some test sites which many people believe in, so comparisons are difficult.

You should definitely uninstall all but one antivirus and personally I would keep Comodo, but as one of their testers I admit to a risk of bias here.

Is there a reason that Comodo isn't submitted to those sites? Can you direct me to those test sites? Also- even if an antivirus program is off/disabled it can still affect the running program? Thank you for all the help :thumbsup:

#8 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

The Comodo av is comparatively recent and uses the rest of the Program for it's effectiveness. With most the antivirus part is all important to the detection of problems, so to just test the antivirus in the way they do would not give a true result. With Comodo the main purpose of the av is to minimise pop-up alerts as the rest of the suite is quite capable of stopping malware before it reaches your computer UNLESS YOU CHOOSE TO ALLOW IT. (not shouting, just for emphasis)

Here are the best known antivirus only tests:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

The problem with even non running avs is that if they have anything in quarantine it will still be detected by the active one and cause conflicts.
James

#9 NYCBLONDE1986

NYCBLONDE1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

The Comodo av is comparatively recent and uses the rest of the Program for it's effectiveness. With most the antivirus part is all important to the detection of problems, so to just test the antivirus in the way they do would not give a true result. With Comodo the main purpose of the av is to minimise pop-up alerts as the rest of the suite is quite capable of stopping malware before it reaches your computer UNLESS YOU CHOOSE TO ALLOW IT. (not shouting, just for emphasis)

Here are the best known antivirus only tests:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

The problem with even non running avs is that if they have anything in quarantine it will still be detected by the active one and cause conflicts.

So you think I should uninstall Spyware Doctor, AVG 9.0, and Microsoft Security Essentials and keep COMODO?

#10 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

It seems rather illogical to use Comodo's AV, when MSE and AVG has both scored so well in AV-Comparatives. Personally I suggest you keep MSE, because of the high detection rates, low false positives, and user friendliness (automatic updates and scanning).

You should definitely uninstall Spyware Doctor and AVG. Personally, I would say that you should also remove Comodo, last time I checked although alerts have been dramatically reduced, the occasional one is still too complex for average users to use. Instead I suggest you simply turn on Windows Firewall, and focus on prevention through common sense, and safe computing practices. See Gizmo's Guide to Securing Your PC, Safe Computing in Under an Hour, Safe Web Practices and How to Stop 11 Hidden Security Threats.

#11 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:37 AM

So you think I should uninstall Spyware Doctor, AVG 9.0, and Microsoft Security Essentials and keep COMODO?

That is what I would do, but as I said before other people would do something else as you can see.

When the new Comodo Internet Security 4 is ready for public release it has very few alerts to be answered and anything it does not recognise as safe runs in a sandbox. Unfortunately it is still being tested and there is no release date as yet..

You definitely need to do something, so you need to choose.
James

#12 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hi, what you COULD do, is only use the Firewall/Defense+ Feature of Comodo, and then also run AVG alongside it. This would require you to uninstall MSE and Spyware Doctor.
To uninstall the AV part of Comodo, go to Start -> All Programs -> Comodo -> Comodo Internet Security -> Uninstall or Upgrade.
Make sure to only uninstall the anti-virus component.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users