Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Windows 7 to a home network

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:08 AM

Hello guys.

I am just checking to what the correct procedure is for adding my windows 7 computer to my home network
I have a windows XP computer which has the printer on it, and a vista laptop , both are wireless connecting to the router on a home network.
So just basically how do i add the windows 7 laptop to this home network.
XP and Vista have the workgroup name " MSHOME " so do i have to change windows 7 laptop to this first...

Thanks guys
TOSHIBA LAPTOP L300-1BV/ WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP2 / 2 GB RAM/ 32 BIT /windows 7 vista home premium, 3GB Ram/ 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:38 AM

If you want to share files and the printer, then yes you need to change the workgroup name to whatever the other PCs are. Then just connect it. You'll have to look into how to share files on the Win7 and how to get the permissions correct. Win7 is a little different than Vista but not like the differences between XP and Vista. Just google search on how to share files on Win7. You aren't going to be able to use the Homegroup thing, that is a Win7 only thing.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

If you want to share files and the printer, then yes you need to change the workgroup name to whatever the other PCs are. Then just connect it. You'll have to look into how to share files on the Win7 and how to get the permissions correct. Win7 is a little different than Vista but not like the differences between XP and Vista. Just google search on how to share files on Win7. You aren't going to be able to use the Homegroup thing, that is a Win7 only thing.

OK,thanks CaveDweller2, yes i have found some sites that tell you how to do this, some are confusing going on about you need to download driver;s for the printer etc.
I did not download any driver's for the vista machine, so why should i have to on the windows 7.

Buts what is more confusing it tells you to turn on file and printer sharing , but on the vista laptop this is turned of with (no printer installed) next to it, but i can print from the laptop using the XP Printer.

What sounds simple enough, could take all day to figure out caveDweller, i'll let you know how it goes....
TOSHIBA LAPTOP L300-1BV/ WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM SP2 / 2 GB RAM/ 32 BIT /windows 7 vista home premium, 3GB Ram/ 64 bit

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

Win7 will install the drivers for the printer.

If you aren't sharing a printer on a machine it won't need file and print sharing on. It is on the XP machine right? And if you are sharing files between the XP and Vista machine, most likely its turned on.

We'll be here if you have any questions.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

If you aren't sharing a printer on a machine it won't need file and print sharing on. It is on the XP machine right? And if you are sharing files between the XP and Vista machine, most likely its turned on.

ARR, yes i think i am with you now, it only has to be turned on in the host computer, so i do not really have to enable file/print sharing on windows 7...
I'll try this later, when i have a bit more time

#6 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:21 PM

ARR, yes i think i am with you now, it only has to be turned on in the host computer, so i do not really have to enable file/print sharing on windows 7...
I'll try this later, when i have a bit more time

OK, everything went fine, apart from the printer, but first this is a windows 7 64 bit.
It carn't find any drivers on the network, so i even downloaded them from the web site...

http://support.lexmark.com/index?locale=en...1266713772157#1

And selected windows 7 x64 , but i was getting absolutly nowhere, something came up saying INI FILE NEEDED so i browsed to the folder where the driver files where, only to get a message saying this folder does not contain driver software , its a bit late now for me at present, and i have just turned the XP computer of, and thought of something.
compaibilty "run this program in compatibility mode for windows xp sp3 " i can only try again tomorrow.......... :thumbsup: before i get to stressed

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

You should be able to install the driver/software on the Win7 PC then go in and configure a TCP/IP port to print to. Putting the IP address of the XP machine. Don't get caught up in trying to configure it all when you install it. Just get it installed then go in and configure it after.

#8 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

You should be able to install the driver/software on the Win7 PC then go in and configure a TCP/IP port to print to. Putting the IP address of the XP machine. Don't get caught up in trying to configure it all when you install it. Just get it installed then go in and configure it after.

GREAT......
OK Cave Dweller2, i think i have got there before you, been searching all afternoon, (sunday) i found this artical, which really is what you advised me to do , but i did not notice at the very bottom

(For a "Network stand alone printer") at 4) chose TCPIP port
and at 5) enter the IP address.

So i had followed the steps from the top, and seems to work fine, what comes up on the printer notification icon on the XP machine is "peer to peer, remote Download" not sure if the slight delay before printing is normal with this method.

So CaveDweller, shall i carry on using this method, or is what you advised better in some way, or doesen't it really matter..

I've posted on this before but to share Printers attached to XP computers with either X-64 or X-32 versions of Windows 7 is SIMPLE. These instructions are for the Printer attached to the XP machine (but works in reverse as well).

("Stand alone" Network printers can be done slightly similarly BTW).

assume the computers are call XPMACHINE and W7MACHINE.

1) Ensure Printer on XP machine is shared - assume it's called SHAREDPRINTER.

2) On the Network Browsing on your Windows 7 machine ensure you can "See" the Printer share.

Now on the Windows 7 machine do the following (doesn't matter if it's X-86 or x-64).

3) Control Panel==> add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it's on a Network but hold your horses -- what we are actually doing is "Poodlefaking" the Windows 7 machine into thinking it's running the printer.

4) Create NEW port==>Local port

5) Portname is \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

6) Now Windows 7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the XP machine.

Simple

Full Thread.
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing...er-sharing.html

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

That is what I am talking about but where they have \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER which you can do as well or you can do \\IPADDRESSOFXPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER so either or will work. Glad you are closing in on it =)

#10 AMBER LEAF999

AMBER LEAF999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

That is what I am talking about but where they have \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER which you can do as well or you can do \\IPADDRESSOFXPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER so either or will work. Glad you are closing in on it =)

Thanks CaveDweller2, for your help and advice.
Both Vista and windows 7 machines are printing nicely to the XP machine printer....FANTASTIC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users