Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung BD-P3600 wi-fi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eddiespageddy

eddiespageddy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:07 AM

Trying to connect a Samsung BD-P3600 BluRay with USB Wi-Fi to home wireless network network for netflicks, youtube etc... can initially login but get gateway (i think it was) error trying to run its in-built network test. other systems, winXP, Win7, Mac OSX, Ubuntu can get to netflicks and you tube thru this wi-fi on simple DHCP using WPA2/PSK.

I have taken the Samsung BD-P3600 to a different WPA2/PSK wireless network without a hardware firewall and it connects fine so i know the Samsung is good, and since the firewall / router equipment is ~ 50 feet away and running a cable down the hall, across the kitchen and living room just isnt going to work, neither will leaving the hardware firewall disconnected as the Home Office must be secure. There is a Netgear FVS318 ProSafe VPN Firewall between the cable modem and the Linksys WRT619N wireless router, the in-built firewall the Linksys WRT619N offers IS disabled as the netgear should be more than sufficient.

I have called Samsung many times, they promise to escalate and call me back and then act as if I never called when i try to call them back to follow-up, I'm not getting anywhere with them. Netgear says there are many UDP and TCP ports i may open but need to know what this Samsung device needs, I have asked samsung and they do not understand my question even though they can at least repeat my words / questions properly as their script instructs them to... can you tell im frustrated? Any suggestions or resources to offer would be appreciated.

-Spageddy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:33 AM

Have you actually disconnected the Netgear firewall to see if that is the issue?

Have you connected it wired to your network to test if its just a wireless thing?

I don't think forwarding ports is going to solve your issue, its not connecting to the net at all.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 20 February 2010 - 05:41 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 eddiespageddy

eddiespageddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

well, this isnt my network, this works on my wireless without a hardware firewall just fine, but i keep thinking that since other pc's can get these network services over the same wireless it has to be a setting the bluray needs, and the firewall and router have certian settings, the router uses certian IP numbers to access the firewall so removing the firewall leaves the wireless broken, I know i can save a config file of this for both but am reluctant to if i can find another solution as resetting these isnt something im familiar with.

there were some comments @ a cnet forum i think i can compare settings against but it does sound more like i'm going to have to consider resettingthe wholething

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?threadID=377411

Their preferred network settings.. http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102-0.htm...6;forum-threads

thanks again, maybe this can asssit the other poster? I'll update if this helps.

-spageddy

well, this isnt my network, this works on my wireless without a hardware firewall just fine, but i keep thinking that since other pc's can get these network services over the same wireless it has to be a setting the bluray needs, and the firewall and router have certian settings, the router uses certian IP numbers to access the firewall so removing the firewall leaves the wireless broken, I know i can save a config file of this for both but am reluctant to if i can find another solution as resetting these isnt something im familiar with.

there were some comments @ a cnet forum i think i can compare settings against but it does sound more like i'm going to have to consider resettingthe wholething

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?threadID=377411

Their preferred network settings.. http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102-0.htm...6;forum-threads

thanks again, maybe this can asssit the other poster? I'll update if this helps.

-spageddy

#4 eddiespageddy

eddiespageddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:58 PM

now, it occurs after looking closer at the pdf's for the netgear firewall and the linksys wireless router that the newer wireless router may now have a better firewall? Do we maybe no longer need the netgear?

#5 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

Have you tried just running the Samsung on Netflicks ? It could be that the test is failing but operationally it will work. It sounds like you have a dual NAT setup, where your public ISP address is being converted once at the Netgear and then again at the Linksys. If this is the case the diagnostic won't make it but simple traffic will.

Here are a couple of other things to try:
Set the IP address of the Samsung as the DMZ address in the Linksys. This forwards all ports not explicitly forwarded to other addresses to this device.
If that doesn't resolve the issue try setting the DMZ address on the Netgear to the address of the Linksys as well. This isn't good security practice, but will help narrow down the issues as a test.
Let us know the results.

You can also try converting your Linksys from a router into a simple access point. Disconnect the WAN port, configure it to a static address of 10.0.0.10 or something else unused, set the LAN address to something other than the LAN address of your Netgear but on the same subnet (like 192.168.1.2), turn off DHCP, and plug the cable from the Netgear into one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port. Poof! Access point. Your Netgear now controls all DHCP and firewall functions, and you have eliminated the double NAT. For future reference write the new LAN IP address of the Linksys on a label on the bottom of the unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users