Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive software download

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TRelyt

TRelyt

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

I bought a used DVD Drive from computersplus and need to know how to get the software for it or something i dont know what brand but i got the model number DHM -16485 please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:12 AM

most DVD drives are plug and play, just install it and windows should recognize it right off the bat.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

if its ide and u got a other dvd drive u have to put the one u got now on slave ( if the other is master ) or master ( if the other one is slave)

software ? do u mean u want to burn stuff on to cd / dvds ?

nero will do that but its pay software and i reckon its one of the badest cd/dvd burning program

#4 TRelyt

TRelyt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

I got it to play dvdrom games and it didnt come with an install disk and i need to get the drivers for it cause it plugged in but wont read any dvds or the game i have

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

do you want to play dvd movies on it? if so you need a dvd encoder which you can either pay for one or get VLC which is free and will play most dvd movies.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

I got it to play dvdrom games and it didnt come with an install disk and i need to get the drivers for it cause it plugged in but wont read any dvds or the game i have

Windows Media Player will play DVDs without adding any drivers.

I can not find anything on the net under the model number DHM -16485 Are you sure you have the correct number?

Strangely when I googled DHM -16485 it gave one one hit which took me right back to your post here in bleepingcomputer.com

Therefore the model number you gave can't be correct.

As for burning software which is free try this link http://cdburnerxp.se/

Edited by MrBruce1959, 20 February 2010 - 11:00 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:38 AM

Are you sure it isn't Artec DHM-G48R DVD-ROM ?
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,237 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

<<Windows Media Player will play DVDs without adding any drivers.>>

Once the proper codecs are installed.

Anytime I've done a clean install and tried to use WMP out of the box...I needed to add a codec pack before the video function performed properly.

Louis

#9 TRelyt

TRelyt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:13 AM

ill have to make sure its the right number next time i get a chance

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:27 AM

Most optical drivers dont really come with drivers as these all have stated-windows basic drivers run the full gammet, ive even had vista run 15 year old CD drives-software wise you need the proper codecs, movie watching software and burning software. theres several, I personally use and like NERO I find it to be very powerful tool-that being said the free stuff should work to. Roxio would be a good free movie watching software.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 TRelyt

TRelyt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:09 AM

ok so i was wrong the model number is DHM-1648S not 5 so help please

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

<<Windows Media Player will play DVDs without adding any drivers.>>

Once the proper codecs are installed.

Anytime I've done a clean install and tried to use WMP out of the box...I needed to add a codec pack before the video function performed properly.

Louis

Yes you are 100% about the codecs, thanks for adding that hamluis!

But as far as drivers go, those were mostly needed during the Windows DOS days. Now-a-days most hardware is plug and play with-in Windows 95--Windows 7.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

ok so i was wrong the model number is DHM-1648S not 5 so help please

Ok so what we are looking at here TRelyt is finding the correct CODECS so your media will play correctly on your computer.

As you look for those beware of web sites that offer those to you for a fee or fake ones offering you viruses or malware instead.

I will post back after I check for a few good sites.

First I want to check out your DVD drive's specs under the model number you gave me.

EDIT: Ok I checked it out. It's an Artec 16X DVD drive. It came with a disk with this title printed on it CyberLink PowerDVD 5 Software. Do you have this disk laying around somewhere?

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 March 2010 - 04:53 PM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

I just wanted to add.

I found a disk that I have which came with a DVD drive someone gave me that has the model number DHM-G48 on it. This device is very similar to yours and this software will work with your drive.

If you can not find your disk, let me know, I will try to provide you with a downloadable copy of the software.

This disk is entitled CyberLink PowerDVD XP 4.0 I can make an ISO of it freely as there is no copy-write restrictions listed in the EULA :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 08 March 2010 - 08:47 AM.

#15 TRelyt

TRelyt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

I bought it used and it came with no disk of any kind so if you could please provide me with that downloadable version i would appreciate it greatly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users