Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

selling stuff on my site?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 kitkin15

kitkin15

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

ok, i am making websites now (trying to make my own business soon) and i want to start selling websites off of my site. i am only going to do this if the site is asked for by a client.

i want to know how to sell these designs and receave the money VIA paypal. i dont know how to do this and would really like to know.

i also have a client who makes his own music, and he wants to start selling his Cd's to people, any advice on this? or on how to do this?

none of this violates copyright's, i swear on that.

thanks for any and all help =)
Fix everything, if nothing is left to fix than break something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

Sure. I know how to do all of that. Do you want to know enough that you will take time to properly capitalize proper nouns and sentences? Do you care enough to do that? Do you care enough to do that without making excuses about why you can't?

#3 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:10 AM

Ok, sorry. I dont understand why you always act rude with me, but lets move on. Can you help me out?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:00 AM

I dont understand why you always act rude with me, but lets move on.

I don't understand why you disrespect yourself by presenting yourself like am illiterate grade-schooler. Because I abhor laziness. Because you and I live about 60 miles apart, and I hate that you are propagating the ignorant mid-western stereotype? Because I despise that your posts detract from the quality of information that we here have worked hard to create? Because it is offensive to me that you would ask for my knowledge, knowledge that others pay a lot of money for, and not take the time to show that you are worthy of receiving that knowledge for free? Because I would be embarrassed to death to look illiterate while asking someone to give me the benefit of their knowledge? Because you want people to respect you? Because I think you are smarter than that? But since we are moving on......

Selling items on a web site is as simple as creating an order form, and setting up a Paypal account to accept payment. An order form is no different than a log-in form. You could simply have someone submit an order form, and once the order form is received, send an email back to the person instructing them as to which Paypal account to send payment to. Once payment is confirmed, then the item can be shipped.

There is an acronym that you need to learn, and it is API, which stands for application programming interface. What that means is for any libraries that you might want to use, there is documentation that tells you how to use those libraries. You can research those sort of things by using your search engine and looking for things like Paypal API, or Google Checkout API. What you will often find is documentation and source code that you can use to do whatever it is that you want. All programming languages have APIs, and most libraries have some sort of documentation.

For instance, if I wanted to use Google Checkout to handle my transactions, and I was using PHP on my website, I could use my search engine to find this page. Once I got to that page, I would be able to research some sample code. And if I took the time to read carefully, I would discover that Google provided a sandbox that allowed one to write code and submit sample orders.

I have done about a half a dozen e-commerce websites, and my preference is to use Google Checkout. Their API made sense to me, which isn't to say it was easy to use. There is a good support forum for asking questions, and a lot of good documentation.

#5 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:19 AM

Ok, now do i make the order forum myself? Or do i get it from another place?

Sorry to ask so many questions, its just that i could really use this. Once i get 4 -10 designs sold i can pay for my site, than i can use google adsense and get more money to advertise and get better programs to make logos and so on.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:22 AM

First of all, you need to settle on a design. Do you want to use something like Google Checkout that will allow you to order through Google, or do you want to just have a person email an order, and then have them submit a payment to Paypal? How to proceed depends on what you want to do, and until you decide how you want to do things, there is not much help I can give.

#7 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:05 AM

Well i already have a paypal setup, so id like to do that. Id rather not do anything with google, i dont know why but i try not to get involved with google that much.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:25 AM

Also keep in mind that Google Checkout is currently available in USA and UK only while PayPal is available almost in entire world.
There are others fast growing companies like Moneybookers too which also provide API and shopping carts interface.

#9 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

Yes im in the U.S.A. and i guess i could use either or, but i like PayPal better, its easier to use lol

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

Gosh, I would love to help more, but I'm not sure if I want to take the time, or waste forum space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users