Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

share a hard drive on my network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 electriclott

electriclott

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

I am having a problem sharing a storage drive on my home network. Let me explain my problem. I have a home network with 4 computers on it, It all runs through a d-link router. I have 2 xp desktops that are connected wireless, I also have a laptop running windows 7 that is part of my home network. The main pc in my home is a desktop running Vista. This is the pc that I use to make changes to my router as it is wired to the router rather than connected wireless. It also has my printer running through it. Anyway, I recently purchased a 500 gig internal hard drive so my whole family has a central storage space to store pictures, files ect. I installed the hard drive in my Vista machine and tried to share it on my network, but all I get when i try to access it from one of the other machines is a " Access denied" message. I have no other network problems that I know of...all my other printer and file sharing settings on my network work fine. I can easily share files out of my Public folder on the Vista machine, and I also have an old 40 gig hard drive set up on one of the xp machines and I am able to share it on my network with no problems. So I'm thinking that maybe this is just a problem with Vista itself. I have spent some time researching this problem, but even after going through all the share settings and trying everything that I have been advised to try, I still have the same problem. I am considering moving the drive to one of my xp machines since It does not seem to be as much as a hassle in xp....however..I do not give up easily...and the xp machines are in my kids bedrooms are far more likely to get viruses and whatever else they may download...so I felt much better about it being in my desktop....I will only move it as a last resort. So does anybody have any knowledge or experience with a problem like this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

Have you tried looking into Network Sharing?

Were you can share everything on the comp.?

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

this looked the most promising ....
"I just cured this issue on my network last night. Open the network and sharing properties in the control panel, where it gives you the details about the network, first drop down box under the big "this user - network name - internet" you'll see a customize link. Click it, then tell it to change the network type to private. This allows your computer to be fully accessed by anyone on the network. Then you must go to the user accounts panel and disable user account control. What happens is Vista looks for that XP user in the user list, if it doesn't find it then it can't find the account control authorization for them.

Another note, you must share each folder on a drive separately for some reason when you try to share the entire drive it just doesn't work. "
from http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-vista/63...ess-denied.html

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:23 AM

Have a read of this. Might be of some help to you.

What that tells me is Vista doesn't like when you share the root or all of a hard drive. So maybe look into making general folders for each of your family members and allow them to make sub folders.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users