Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Recovery Gone Bad

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adsaba1969

adsaba1969

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

HP Pavilion with XP media center. Went to do a recovery with the 2 recovery DVDs I made after initial startup. 1st disc read fine, got to 42% of recovery...said insert disc #2. Inserted disc 2 and told me it wasn't the right disc. Now I can't boot and disc 2 isn't reading. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

edit: when i f10 into recovery console, it brings me straight to "insert disc 2"

Edited by adsaba1969, 19 February 2010 - 07:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

Contact HP about media replacement is all I can suggest.

Louis

#3 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

Did you try to do it over again. Sometimes that helps

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

From HP:
Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems in Windows XP
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bph07144

Note the HP restore partition and Windows Recovery Console are very different critters. I am pretty sure you just used the wrong term like many people do.

I usually find that cleaning the disk or using an external bootable dvd drive fix this type of error.

The f-10 or f-11 hp recovery partition should be able to do a full system recovery without any disks at all.

Once you get the drive recovered (destructive recovery option if your computer has the later version of the recovery partition) you can make another set of disks. If it says you can't, google hpcd.sys to figure out the workaround.

The wrong disk error can happen if HP shipped the wrong disk, but it is probably just having problems reading the disks if it is the set you made. Car wax can sometimes fill in scratches enough to get a good read if the disks are really mangled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users