Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove files left after an uninstall

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 pjb007

pjb007

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

I have just looked in my Programs Files folder, and found Folders containing files that I have uninstalled (Netscape and Real and the like). Even though I ran the uninstaller that came with the software it has removed all files. Is there some software that will remove all files leaft after an uninstall?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

You could check out the freeware Revo, which can clear up leftovers.
Depends if it identifies anything, following your automated uninstalls.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst...e_download.html

#3 pjb007

pjb007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

Just installed it just looks like a different version of the Windows Add/Remove - where is the area to find leftovers from uninstalled programmes?

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:02 AM

It can remove programs which are difficult to remove through Add / Remove.

If it doesn't identify the programs in question at all, you have to decide if you are
comfortable in deleting the folders left behind.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:59 AM

I don't think you can use Revo to find leftovers of previously uninstalled programs.

Someone else may know if you can, and will correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 February 2010 - 10:03 AM.

#6 pjb007

pjb007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:05 AM

When I run it I get a screen that lists all my programmes and a row of buttons at the top:

Uninstaller (that's selected)
Tools
Options
Hunter Mode
View
Uninstall (grayed out)
Refresh
Update
Help

#7 zsazso

zsazso

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

If you have uninstalled the program, it's safe to delete the empty folders. Just be sure they are the folders for the old program. I use CCleaner afterwards to remove unnecessary registry entries. you MUST make sure you want to delete the results!!
I also use revo (advanced uninstall). It removes much more than windows uninstaller, but again, be careful.

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:54 AM

I did say it all depended on whether the program identified your programs in some way.

I don't know of any other program which would help, I regret to say.

CCleaner is NOT recommended for use by these forums.

certainly not for registry cleaning.

Edited by petewills , 21 February 2010 - 10:55 AM.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:32 AM

CCleaner is NOT recommended for use by these forums.

To clarify:
CCleaner's reg cleaner is not recommended, due to the potential problems that can be caused by mistakenly removing the wrong reg entries.
There's nothing wrong with using the rest of the programs functions to remove temporary files, URL history, cookies, etc.
It actually does a pretty good job of that. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

I agree - messed up my edit - thanks for clarification.

#11 pjb007

pjb007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

You had me worried for a while there - I use CCleaner for clearing Temp Files, Cookies and the like (well most cookies I keep forum logins).

I use RegCleaner its ok though I have to run it in compatibility mode with reduced colours otherwise it won't work.

Edit 1
I just ran it no idea what I can clear and what I can't - there are enteries there for installed software.

Edited by pjb007, 21 February 2010 - 12:51 PM.

#12 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

I posted in haste and should have emphasized the registry cleaning aspect; fortunately it
was picked up quickly, as I had no wish to criticise CCleaner in other respects.

However, the use of registry cleaners generally is not encouraged and you say you
have used RegCleaner, which is yet another registry cleaner.

I think Louis states the case perfectly:

"In general...registry cleaners are not suggested...because they are like putting a chain saw in the hands of a child, IMO.

The user has no idea what is being done to the system...no idea when the program was developed...no idea what criteria were used in some 3rd-party's determination of what entries should be changed or removed.

If directions are provided, most users don't bother to read them.

In general...users tend to think of "cleaning the registry" as some sort of magical fix for whatever might ail the system. No such thing exists.

System problems are best solved by careful examination of any error messages...careful application of known fixes for known system problems (which exist in the thousands, IMO)...and trial-and-error attempts to correct known, specific problems based on the experiences of others.

Add to this the fact that all systems do not necessarily respond the same way to the same situation...and the ever-present threat/existence of malware on systems (which throws out all previously known rules for diagnosing/correcting system symptoms)...and you get a picture of a blindfolded user armed with a shotgun which may be pointed at herself/himself.

A good example of this...the recent assertion by many that an MS critical update "ruined" their systems...when subsequent investigation reveals that a high percentage (if not all) of those systems...received adverse reactions when installing the critical update...because their systems were infected by a rootkit which locked the users out of their systems when the update was applied.

Sometimes...what a user thinks is "obvious" as a problem...has causes which require something other than a predetermined disposition or interpretation of what needs to be done.

Anyone who uses a "registry cleaner" with the assumption that the developers know what they are doing on a system no human has attempted to examine...is taking a great chance that something vital may be removed in the process of such cleaning...and they are taking an even greater chance that the registry cleaner will properly deal with situations...not expected to be encountered. "

Hamluis 18.2.2010

I haven't anything further to add, really. In the past I have deleted 'orphaned folders', but that's a matter of personal choice.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

This is BC's position on Registry cleaning.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 bl33p!n eddacker

bl33p!n eddacker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

registry cleaning SOUNDS like a great idea; Windows is such a dirty operating system.
But, most windows experts believe more registry entries rather than less makes a windows system better. From the XP days; the newer versions are aggressively changing that.

To solve this all applications should publish a 'manual' removal instruction that identifies registry entries to be 'cleaned'. It is a waste of time to fight against 'bloat'.

#15 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

With registry entries:

Better to have 100 too many, than 1 too less :thumbsup: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users