Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Vista boot issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 articblaster

articblaster

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

I walked into my computer room and found my monitor frozen with a low resolution form of one of vistas screen savers. I had to press an hold the power button in order to turn the computer off.

After 1 minute I turned it back on.

The computer told me it was shut off improperly and gave me the 3 choices for startup. I chose to start up normally.

It went through some of the boot up process but before it displayed the desktop it stopped. Nothing was displayed on the monitor and the working light flashed every 15 to 20 sec. I left it this way for 10min and no changes happened.

I held the power button again to repeat my process.

The results got worse.

It asked me if I wanted to restore from a previous spot. I said yes. It tried to do this and then it hung itself again.

I held the power button once again.

This time all the text on the screen was unreadable lines of white and grey. I hit enter. It tried to do something but all that was displayed was colorful lines all over the screen. Then it tried to boot and hung itself.

Mother board? Hard Drive?

I hope it is not the HD, I have alot of kid pictures I hate to lose.

Thanks for any help. I am new to this system so HELLO and HELP. Oh and if I posted this wrong please forgive me in advance!!!

Jon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:40 AM

Your video card is dead/dying.

#3 articblaster

articblaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:07 AM

Thanks I was hoping that is all it was. To bad. This computer is not even 3 years old. Any recommendations? I buy from New Egg.

HP Pavilion a6250z, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4600+ dual-core, 2.4GHz is what I have

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:38 AM

Thanks I was hoping that is all it was. To bad. This computer is not even 3 years old. Any recommendations? I buy from New Egg.

HP Pavilion a6250z, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4600+ dual-core, 2.4GHz is what I have

Whats your budget, and what do you do on your computer?

#5 articblaster

articblaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

My card is NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Graphics Card.

I would like to stay under $60. I did a search on replacement cards and found a message board that recommended (EVGA 512-P2-N738-LR GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16) to another person. They said this card would fit, so I guess there must be a space issue. I have never replaced V-cards before only memory. Not sure how to make sure what I buy will fit. I do not mind spending more than the $40 for the 8400 if there is something more reliable close in price.

Only game I have played is FATE. Which my old card had issues with. Lots of Blue Screens, so I quit playing.

I am not a big gamer yet. Maybe when the boys get older.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Edited by articblaster, 20 February 2010 - 08:48 AM.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

I would get this one: EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail 59.99

#7 articblaster

articblaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

Thanks!!! I just ordered it.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

THe one I picked will give you better performance then the 8400. When you get make sure you register it with EVGA.

#9 articblaster

articblaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:42 AM

I will do that. I looked at that one but would not have picked it because some of the reviews said that the fan was loud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users