Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista hang after wireless card driver installed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Gmutza

Brian Gmutza

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

I've been a long time lurker and can usually solve my computer problems with a little digging here and some trial and error, but this one has me perplexed. If this would be better served in another forum, feel free to move!

I have installed a D-Link DWL-AG530 PCI wireless card into my machine and installed the proper driver from the D-Link support site. When I install the driver, everything works perfectly... until I reboot the machine. Once I reboot, Vista hangs while loading. No BSOD: it just freezes and has to be powered off manually and restarted. I've tried booting in safe mode, and it hangs there too. If I go back to the last good configuration, the machine boots perfectly. I can reinstall the driver and the card works great until I shutdown/reboot, and then it hangs again. Thus, I know it's the driver that's causing the problem on startup. I double checked to make sure that I have the correct driver (there are two for this model, based on the card version) and I have 1.10 A1-A3. Anyone know what can be done to get it to boot properly?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Config:
Dell Inspiron 530
Vista Premium 32-bit, SP2
3 GB RAM
C2D E8300

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

Get the driver from Dell.

#3 Brian Gmutza

Brian Gmutza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

I don't see a driver for that card from Dell. Their support site wants to give drivers for the things that came stock, and I added this card.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

I don't see a driver for that card from Dell. Their support site wants to give drivers for the things that came stock, and I added this card.

Take the card out then try it in a different slot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users