Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant access the internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cwheeler

cwheeler

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:30 PM

worked on a friends dell computer that was infected with Security Essentials 2010. Ended up having to reload windows xp, got it up and running at my home(roadrunner) he has verizon dsl and can not get on the internet. any advice would sure be appreciated. p.s. loaded avg antivirus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:33 PM

Is it getting an IP address?

go to start then run type in cmd hit enter in the black box that comes up type in the following:

ipconfig /all

Copy and Paste what you see here.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:12 PM

I had a minor tilt with an infected system a couple of days ago, one of the fake AV programs such Security Essentials 2010.

I had the user stop using the system and do a hard shutdown.

When I got the system, I removed the hard drive and connected it (SATA) to one of my systems, as a secondary drive. I always have Malwarebytes, Avira Free, and SUPERAntiSpyware installed, so I felt protected.

I had previously scanned my own system with each of the apps mentioned. So I only scanned the suspect drive.

I ran the Malwarebytes scan first, it detected the known malware item and a couple of others, deleted same, rebooted.

I then ran Avira Free, which found 10 or so more malicious items, which I then deleted.

Finally, I ran SAS, which found 1 additional item, selected Bear Share as something to remove...and found a number of cookies. I deleted all of them.

Put hard drive back in system, booted, ran Avira again...which found a few more registry items...deleted those.

System now works properly.

The moral of this tale? There is, IMO, seldom only 1 item to be concerned about...and using just one program for attempts at resolution are likely to be "fools gold".

Louis

#4 cwheeler

cwheeler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

i won't have access to that computer till monday morning, can you give me a little more insight?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

Does that mean you did a clean install of XP and wiped everything? Does that mean that you did a repair install? Does that mean that you used some sort of "recovery/restore" mechanism?

If the latter...system manufacturer and model?

Louis

#6 cwheeler

cwheeler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:57 AM

i did a clean install loaded all service packs, no hardware issues, was able to access the internet at my house, gave it back and can not get on the internet.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:12 AM

i did a clean install loaded all service packs, no hardware issues, was able to access the internet at my house, gave it back and can not get on the internet.

I would try to locate the Verizon DSL Installation CD or call Verizon up.

Try this at your place with his information.

Edited by cryptodan, 20 February 2010 - 10:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users