Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Microsofts Guided Help to Repair Registry

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Melish67

Melish67

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

I have the error.
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate
I found the other posts relating to this and the Mirosoft Knowledge base fix.
My question is that in the MS article it says "Guided Help is available to help recover a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting. However it then goes on to say that you have to be logged on to Windows in order to insatal and use the program. Which is a bit of a problem if windows wont start.
Can this program be run from the recovery console or do I have to fix this manually.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

I see that...my suggestion is go through the manual steps which are listed.

I don't know of any instance where someone has actually used the guided help method.

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users