Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Prompt Boxes

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 pjb007

pjb007

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

I am getting Password Prompt boxes on many web pages. This happens in all browsers and the location my broswer wants to connect to is different for each website.

I had a post here (which includes a screen shot and also logs carried out over the last few days) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/292743/yieldmanagercom-password-boxes/

Can anyone help, when I clicked the link in the most recent post pointing to this thread I was asked to connect to:
pagead2.googlesyndication.com
ad1.netshelter.net
track.netshelter.net
www.google-analytics.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

Try exiting all security programs except the Windows firewall. I would suggest you
uninstall 2 of them---Spybot and AdAware. After exiting/ shutting down all security programs,
try going to a site and see if you still get the request for password to allow connection to the
various ad purveyors and trackers.

You can block the installation of ad/ tracking cookies (third party cookies) in IE and Firefox.
After changing your settings to block, simply remove the existing ones by running a scan
with Super Antispyware or delete them manually.

Install NoScript and AdBlock Plus on your Firefox Browser. NoScript will keep malware from
installing by just visiting a site plus many other types of malware threats
and Adblock Plus blocks ads from installing.

I noticed you were asking about a firewall. I have used the ZA firewall for many years with no
problems. Just be sure to ONLY accept the installation of the free firewall and NOT any
other toolbar, addon, browser helper or Ask Toolbar. Be sure to uncheck any of those.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722 (NoScript)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865 (AdBlock Plus)
http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zo...ee-firewall.htm
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

Just my $0.02 here:

pagead2.googlesyndication.com
ad1.netshelter.net
track.netshelter.net
www.google-analytics.com

I believe these are all used by Bleeping Computer. Google Analytics is used everywhere, though the others should be used if you are logged in as they serve advertisements.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:15 AM

Nod 32 allows password protection of settings. Did you set a password for Nod 32?
That's my best guess as to which program is asking for the password to allow the
third party ads and trackers access.

Here is a link to the screen shot of the password box that pjb007 provided.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/296996/password-prompt-boxes/

Does anyone recognize the password box?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 pjb007

pjb007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

I've uninstalled SpyBot and AdAware.

Just to be clear - this is happening in ALL browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera). Also noticed it in Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger (the adverts I guess).

I have had NOD32 for some years and not had this problem before, so don't think its that.

SuperAntiSpyware has some settings in the Control Center, which boxes should be ticked for the highest level or scanning.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

SAS Free wouldn't cause this. If you have the paid version--maybe.

Have you exited/ shut down ALL security programs as I suggested?
You could shut down one at a time to find the culprit.

It could be a security program from your ISP. Does your ISP offer a free security program?
Is it running?

#7 pjb007

pjb007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

I did, appart from Anti Virus (NOD32) but I have not changed any settings in there since Day 1.

ISP - well thats Sky (Connect) I have not installed anything they offer and this only happens on my machine on our network.

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

That box isn't from a specific program as far as I know. It pops up whenever I need to log into my router using Internet Explorer, as well as trying to visit some sites that require authentication.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:04 PM

xblindx---That suggests another possibility.

Is it possible that a firewall in the router or modem could ask to allow the access of
the ad and tracking servers??

pjb007---have you added or replaced any hardware lately? Done any firmware updates
for router or modem?

#10 pjb007

pjb007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:16 PM

No - and it only happens on my computer the other machines on the network are OK. I am currently running a virtual machine on my computer as that is unaffected and allows me to surf without pop ups though I hope its only temporary.

Edited by pjb007, 22 February 2010 - 02:17 PM.

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:30 PM

I'll attach a screenshot of the popup when logging into my router

Posted Image

Note that I marked out the IP address of my router just for the sake of doing it, but that is what is under the red markings.

Edited by xblindx, 22 February 2010 - 06:36 PM.

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:02 AM

xblindx is correct. This is HTTP authentication box.
Some malware can change the DNS servers so trap and record all your internet traffic. Has your PC got infected in past with some kind of malware ?
Check your DNS servers and HOSTS file.

Imagine what would happen when you have a HOSTS file with entries like
192.168.1.1 google-analytics.com

#13 pjb007

pjb007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

That's not the password box I get - here is an example of what i get (I took the screenshot)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&id=47871
Obviously Connection to ------ changes to show what is it I apparently need to connect to.

#14 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

Its basically the same thing, the one I get just includes that additional info above the username box.

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

Try entering the password for your router in the box. If you haven't changed the default
password / user name for your router, you can find it the link below.
http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users