Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will an OTL scan in OTLPE disk make any changes to my Operating Systems?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sherri235

sherri235

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:08 PM

Hi, this is just a question before I make any other moves using the Reatog xpe disk. I am unfamiliar with all of the diagnostic tools it came with so...
I just needed to know if the OTL scan I want to run will leave things as is,(not change anything on the C: drive) even if something is still wrong (perhaps with one of my userinit. files/keys). Thank you

Edited by sherri235, 19 February 2010 - 03:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

I have never heard of this tool/program, so I cannot comment. However, If you are uncomfortable doing anything then trust your instincts. What are you trying to do?

#3 sherri235

sherri235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hi there. This is an OTLPE disk I am using to view programs and folders on my c: drive that I cannot access in my original OS , Windows xp media center edition which came with the desktop.
After much work and installing the OEM disk through Dell, I now have 2 Operating systems. Dell sent me XPHome rather than the version we had. I use the boot disk OTL above to see the hidden/locked files that are not shown or accessible through the Home version I installed. I am now using the boot disk to recover and save my folders/pictures that were not backed up before the problems forced the perpetual logon boot many people are having problems with. IF you are inquiring about the disk, it is much like Bart's PE disk, if you are more familiar with that one specifically.

Another one: Can I uninstall home edition with little problems?I am limited because I jumped the gun and used the OEM generic reinstallation disk to try to fix the loop with previous xp edition. I'm thinking I shouldn't have added the operating system, however it allowed me to perform scans and get logs,etc.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

Do you have the recovery cd's?

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:27 PM

Hello,

I am moving this to the AV forum.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

OTL only scans your system and provides a detailed list
It does not make any changes

Here is a description of the canned we use
  • Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Two reports will open, :
    • OTListIt.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized

Edited by garmanma, 20 February 2010 - 10:23 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 sherri235

sherri235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

Hello thank you all for replying, I suppose this is in an anti virus forum...I'll recheck track the topic option if just in case this is necessary.

To answer some questions: No, this original OS was factory installed with xp media edition, I used the OEM dell disk sent to us to try to get into the system to resolve the logon error, when I probably should have burned the ISO and went from there before adding Home edition through disk Dell sent. Lastly, I can boot to windows home which is an option in bios at start up, I can also select my original OS system Media edition, however with media edition I cannot boot in any mode and get the welcome logon loop which is very unwelcome. And this is the story of how it began. Here is where I am now:

I had a feeling the OTLPE which came installed on the boot disk I made would get me info re: some issues. so I have utilized this environment for scanning etc. At this point I am still unable to change or find how to fix the loop issue (reg. keys/userinit) to resolve the Media version. The good news, I use the PE disk to slowly get any and all stuff off this desktop/the desktop I can only access through this environment. Does anyone want to look at some of the logs?

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

These are the instructions I use for userinit replacement

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO
  • In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
  • Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
  • Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
  • Click File and select Save As...
  • Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.
Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
  • Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

If that doesn't work try copying the atapi.sys file from C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers.
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 sherri235

sherri235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

Hi garmanma (or is it Mark?) I appreciate your input. Due to the fact that there are now 2 operating systems and only one that is really working so I use the pe disk, do you think making another disk will help me 'see' the xp media center edition user or registry keys? I'd like to try your methods once I get the boot disc out and finish grabbing and copying some of our stuff just in case.

There are alot of logs and tools I am able to scan with on this x-pe disk I am using and I'm not sure about them so I haven't checked all of them out. There is magic jellybean which did not notice the xp media center edition info,ie. (factory) ..it did see the new home edition which is basically a generic shell with 2 programs , super anti spyware and malwarebytes on it. Other cool looking tools include: agent ransack and disk investigator, undelete plus and windows registry,etc. I guess what I need to know is if xp media center is somewhere in this system why is this so difficult shouldn't the dds, etc gmer logs be viewed first? I did notice that this all occurred same date/s mostly 1-24-10 and suspect new kb files and updates simultaneously. Ridiculous....I'll finish what I began and check out your methods if I can stand burning the 10th cd of the week. Sorry for the rant, it is Saturday here afterall. :thumbsup:

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

I am not familiar with Reatog xpe disk

If this is a retail machine, you will need magicaljellybean to find your CD keys
They are not the same as what is on the sticker on the back/bottom of the computer

Edited by garmanma, 21 February 2010 - 10:59 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

#11 sherri235

sherri235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

Hello again. I tried the RC plus method you described. ONce I got to the D: prompt command, I received the message that there is no disk in the drive so I began checking other drive letters. Tried e, f, g an finally h:
It accepted h: and it worked up until I was asked, "do you want to overwrite userinit...Y, N, ALL...since I believe these methods always look in the Window xp Home edition, I selected all hoping it would find windows media edition too, ha!..but once I got to restart and selected the original operating system in bios, windows xp media center wouldn't open. ONce again a flash of her old coastal desktop picture and the welcome screen and my mother's computer name came up only to logs itself off after you select the computer name... just as before.

I suppose the OS is there and we are locked completely out of it. At this point (without disks, only the reinstallation or OEM disk from Dell) can I try to get rid of windows home or even xp. I'm starting to think windows , our original meda edition OS, is saved in some partition or world of Dell that I don't know enough about to play around in. I'm getting the last of our files out and I am open to suggestions.

On 1/23 or 1/24/2010 this all went down. My mother, bless her heart decided to buy webroot and she installed it 01/17 on the 23-24 the computer froze and quarantined something and it has never been the same...I've since returned the spysweeper Webrootdeal for her to receive a refund. Here are a few logs in case the powers above know about any of this (I'm kicking myself for placing the reinstall disk Dell sent in as I think this confused the issue and now I have the option in bios of selecting the highlighted OS in a few seconds etc. Logs go follow

#12 sherri235

sherri235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

It doesn't look like this is the proper area for logs I will place them where you tell me to if I can paste them in from this little laptop I am using in lieu of the desktop that is not connected to the internet. Thanks again..I'll wait to here from you or your staff of experts.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

OTL logs get posted here, with a brief description of your problem:
The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

The Malware Removal Team are very busy and it will take some time to get to your topic
Please be patient and good luck
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users