Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

program to kill all connections to file on NAS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 karatechops4u

karatechops4u

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

I'm wondering if there is a program, similar in implementation to Unlocker, that will kill all connections to a file on a network-attached storage device (Maxtor Shared Storage II). The device itself has no native administration/file management capabilities, at least for this purpose. Specifically, I'm trying to deal with this issue:
Multiple users will open a PDF from the device, which is mapped to a drive on their computer. One of them needs to append to the document, but since another user has the file open, they get an "Access is denied" or similar error. In order to free up the file, someone either has to make an announcement over the intercom, send an email to everyone in the building, or wait awhile. All the computers are running XP on the same domain. Overall, we don't have a serious issue with this, but every once in awhile, a file gets locked up, no one seems to have to open, it continues with the Access denied error for hours and we eventually have to recreate the original file from scratch.

I'm looking for a program to break the connection the other users have on the file to free it up so it can be edited. Unfortunately, keeping the files on the NAS is the only option for right now.

I tried using Unlocker, but, like I imagined, it's really only meant to free up files locally when other processes/programs are using them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

It sounds to me like the issue is some PC is not letting go of the file. What program are you using to read the PDF file? Is it only PDF files that this is happening to?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 karatechops4u

karatechops4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

Mostly Adobe Acrobat, but it could be one of the scanning programs (Microtek ScanWizard). It has only been with PDF's because that's how we create and send reports, both internal/external. It could potentially occur with other types of files, but we primarily deal with PDFs.

Like you suspect, I definitely think it's one PC somehow retaining a hold on a file, maybe due to Adobe or the scanning program having some kind of background issue (where the program doesn't have any windows open but hasnt closed or has crashed). That's why I would like to find a program to just sever the connections to the file, because I have physically walked around to multiple computers, checking if the file was open, checking through Task Manager if Adobe/Scanwizard is running or crashed, and I couldn't find anything.

Awhile ago I tried to search for a way to manage connections/users to a NAS (with the same issue in mind) just like you can with a server, but I couldn't find anything.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

I searched and couldn't find anything that would fine and kill the use on a network, only local.

Have you looked into a NAS that has better management? I know that is not ideal but in the long run it'll save money. Of course I dunno if any NAS management will have what you need built in.

I'm going to post in the advisor area. And see if they have an idea where to go with this. Because your question/issue goes beyond a network issue but I'm not sure where you'd get the best help. Seems to me it might be trying to figure out if its just 1 PC or multiple that is having this issue and correct it. Perhaps its the program that needs tweaking or another program needs to be used.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 karatechops4u

karatechops4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

When I looked into the issue earlier, it seemed that any NAS that was listed as Windows-powered would do the trick, you could essentially have the same administration abilities as a server. We're a pretty small business, and those Windows-powered ones run a bit pricey, so we probably just deal with the occasional hiccup. Fortunately, the issue doesn't happen often, but it sure is a pain when it does. Thanks for the help!

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

Not sure if this is even close or not

Softvare Usb Unlocker
http://www.fileguru.com/apps/softvare_usb_unlocker
Unlock PDF Security 3.0
http://www.fileguru.com/apps/unlock_idea_netsetter_usb
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users