Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On bootup, the splash screen is not visible - Help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jackhe22

jackhe22

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:06 PM

Hello BleepingComputer forums! This is my very first post, and already I think I like this site quite alot.

So, here I am asking for help, because I have recently dug out an ancient Packard Bell Tower, running Windows ME. When I turned it on, I noticed that instead of the classic boot screen appearing, it was just a blinking line -you know, like in DOS. I was starting to wonder if somehow ME had been corrupted. But then, the logon screen appeared! Hooray! I was left wondering what all that was about. :thumbsup:
And now, it does that on every boot. It blinks, instead of showing me the boot screen.
This is not an urgent problem, its just that it would be nice to have it back.

Thanks,
jackhe22

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hello Jackhe22 & welcome to the forum!

Edit your msdos.sys file. To do so click Start/Programs/MS-DOS prompt. I think ME had that.
In the MSDOS prompt window type

attrib -r -s -h C:\MSDOS.SYS

then press Enter.
This is to allow you to edit/write to the file as otherwise it is Read-Only. Then type

notepad C:\MSDOS.SYS

then press Enter.
Notepad will now load with your MSDOS file ready for editting.

Look for the line "LOGO=0" in the [Options] section. If it is there to turn ON the splash screen simply change the 0 to a 1 . If that line isn't there just below the line [Options] add LOGO=1.

Save the file and then return to your MSDOS prompt window. Then type attrib +r +s +h C:\MSDOS.SYS and press Enter. This restores the file permissions (Read Only etc.) that you had changed above

Restart

See if that takes care of it
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 jackhe22

jackhe22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

Wow! Thanks very much, you have worked wonders! It now appears again! I still wonder why it stopped in the first place though....

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

Cool!
:thumbsup:

#5 jackhe22

jackhe22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:47 AM

BAD NEWS:

IT HAS STOPPED APPEARING AGAIN, EVEN THOUGH THE LOGO=1 IS THERE. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

Check the msdos.sys file again like above to make sure that there are not multiple instances of the LOGO= line.
Possibly a second entry is overwriting the first?

Also make sure that you have reset the file attributes back to read only - system - hidden as per the last line above so that the file cannot be changed.

#7 jackhe22

jackhe22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Eyesee.
Sadly, that was the only line with LOGO in it. I am really confused now. At one point, I wondered maybe it does not appear, because my old Packard Bell boots so quickly. The DOS wait blinks a few times and bam, the log on screen.

Thanks for the help,
jackhe22

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

Im stumped as to why!

At least is something minor that does not affect performance.

#9 jackhe22

jackhe22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

That, is very true. It dosent bother me much anyway. Thanks for all your help EyeSee.

#10 Dickens68

Dickens68

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

Hi there, I'm new here, but I have an idea.

Maybe someone deleted / slightly modified your logo files. They are located in your windows directory and have the following names : LOGOS.SYS and LOGOW.SYS. The first one is for the shutdown, the second one is for bootup. [I used to customize them, that's why I thought that somebody tried to mess with yours :D ]

The files are simple bitmaps, just renamed to .sys .

Their size must be 320x240, must have 256 colors. So you can resize any image you want to that size than reduce it to 256 colors, than naming the LOGOS.SYS or LOGOW.SYS (depending on which one you wanna change.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users